• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal shoulder roll

DanM

I have a veal shoulder roll to cook on Sunday. I'm not a big fan of red meat, but we have company, so I need to make a bigger feast than necessary....

Anyhow. How to cook this cut? I was thinking about pot roasting it in a dutch oven with mushrooms, potatoes, carrots and onions. Brown the meat, deglaze with white wine, as the veg, meat, broth, and a bouquet garnis. Set it in oven 150c ish for 3 hours?

I might unroll the cut and add some persillade and reroll. Any thoughts? Also, is 1kg enough for 4 adults and 4 kids? I am also serving  roast chicken as a main (for the kids...). 

Thoughts?

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I think I’d go with a “porchetta” Style stuffing, then SV and do a last minute pan sear before serving (assuming that at ~1 kg that’s without skin).

You can prep the sauce to your liking. Leftovers are good on bread as well, though 1 kg for 4 adults is a little on the skimpy side, if I may say so. Kids won’t get full, either. If you do the above suggestion you can easily double the amount and then you should be comfortable.

I’d do roast potatoes and creamed spinach/savoy cabbage on the side ...

• Like 1

Depends a lot on the guests...

Good appetites (big eaters) with red meat will be 100~200 gms per person. If the main part of the meal is the vegetables then 150gm is probably going to be enough. Kids its a lucky dip. Some quite young children I know will eat 250gms of meat but others will eat only 75gms.

If the children are middle age then allow 100gms for them so 4 adults at 150, 4 kids at 100 = 1kg. Better cook some sweet potato, perhaps parsnips, pumkin and turnips, something with some carb "body", maybe some greens like beans & broccoli or such, even a cauliflower bake, to pad out the plate. If you reckon the children will have chicken only then its probably going to be enough, especially if the adults are having chicken as well.

If there will be drinking (not just with the meal but before) allow a little more.

The roast is going to lose some volume during cooking, whichever way you go, so its probably only going to end up at 800gms cooked. Might be fine if you are having starters.

An easy top up is shredded cabbage cooked in a covered frypan with bacon pieces and spices.

I like the SV but its going to take 24 hours or so, because you don't want much temperature. In the oven for that long its going to lose maybe a 3rd of its volume, even if its covered. Drop the temperature uncovered for the last hour to 140C to thicken up the broth.

Perhaps if you decide on the dutch oven then put some barley/rice/pasta in the bottom to produce a thick broth type gravy which will add to the volume. I always found mushrooms go a little tough and chewy with long slow cooking.

• Thanks 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

As @Duvel says - I'd go with the roll with stuffing. Julia Child has a good recipe but my book is buried somewhere. It may have been veal breast, but same idea. One of the most memorable meals I made as a young cook. I don't really see veal as "red meat". 

5 hours ago, Bernie said:

Good appetites (big eaters) with red meat will be 100~200 gms per person.

100~200g of red meat ?! Not sure if that defines a “big eater” ... YMMV.

• Haha 3

On 9/27/2019 at 4:12 PM, heidih said:

As @Duvel says - I'd go with the roll with stuffing. Julia Child has a good recipe but my book is buried somewhere. It may have been veal breast, but same idea. One of the most memorable meals I made as a young cook. I don't really see veal as "red meat". 

The store did not have another shoulder roast, but they did have a breast of about the same size. I'll have to see if I can find that Julia Child recipe. Thanks!

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

On 9/27/2019 at 11:33 PM, Duvel said:

100~200g of red meat ?! Not sure if that defines a “big eater” ... YMMV.

Agree. I don't consider myself a big eater, but I can happily get through over 200 grams of red meat at a sitting. 100 grams isn't even a quarter-pounder! Not that I ever eat McDonald's "food".

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 9/29/2019 at 4:00 PM, liuzhou said:

Agree. I don't consider myself a big eater, but I can happily get through over 200 grams of red meat at a sitting. 100 grams isn't even a quarter-pounder! Not that I ever eat McDonald's "food".

Actually I was trying to be kind.😀

A ""normal"" fillet steak for me is about 200 gms. A nice rib fillet is about 350~400. Presumably a roast would be sliced and as such a few slices probably smaller, particularly on a plate with good servings of a good number of vegetables. 

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)