• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GreenPeppercorns on the stalk in bunches

rotuts

there is new Thai restaurant in my town

exceptionally fine

odd for the 'burbs

Ive gotten the Duck w broad rice noodles 

and lime leaf and green-peppercorns three times.

they must think I like GPC's   I do

but todays dish had these :

1887028610_GPCs.thumb.jpg.fd1b4537fc809784ed549e0ddd648771.jpg

I carefully dissected out single pepper corns and eat them that way.  plenty hot for me

then I though , it be unfortunate if someone didn't know what these are and bit into a full cluster

they'd be in the ER in no time.

does any one buy GPC in clusters like this ?

mighty hot they are.

• Like 1

I love fresh peppercorns in the cluster.  One of my favorite (but now closed :( ) thai restaurants used to serve a few dishes that use fresh peppercorns - I don't know where they got them from - but they weren't preserved, they were fresh and had such a fantastic flavor... very different from the dried or preserved ones... before that place in NYC, the only place I had seen fresh peppercorns was in SE Asia.  At one point, i was actually thinking about growing them!

• Like 1

my thinking that these are fresh , then added to the dish.

they are not pickled.  and have a crunch to them.

and are very peppery.   

that's different than Hot as in chili peppers , such as thai birds.

a few at a time are delicious 

and very noticeable 

Edited by rotuts (log)

Very occasionally our Superstore has fresh green peppercorns.  That's crazy because Penticton is only 30,000 people and quite WASP'y.  The are fresh when green.  If dark green/brown they are not fresh.  They offer a unique taste as do many Thai herbs...Thai Basil/lime leaves come to mind.

• Like 2

Yes, I love the combination of green peppercorns, kaffir lime leaf and grachai - which is sometimes called lesser ginger... it has a very distinctive flavor and tastes nothing like ginger... it is similar to galangal but different... hard to describe - I've never tasted anything like it, but now keep a package of it in my freezer.

• Like 1