• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Booze in magic shell?

paulraphael

I need to make something for a party and don't have time to experiment. I'm wondering adding some cognac to homemade magic shell will cause it to seize. 

My recipe:

125g dark chocolate

100g refined coconut oil

33g trimoline

There's a little water in the trimoline, which doesn't seem to cause any problems. Any sense of how much cognac could reasonably be emulsified into this? I probably wouldn't want to go past 5%.

Notes from the underbelly

No, but I am interested.  Been making magic shell for years, but the a 3:2 chocolate to oil mixture.   Even grownups love to watch the liquid suddenly harden.  

Also...have no cognac in the house. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

19 hours ago, Darienne said:

No, but I am interested.  Been making magic shell for years, but the a 3:2 chocolate to oil mixture.   Even grownups love to watch the liquid suddenly harden.  

Also...have no cognac in the house. 

Interesting about the ratio. I forget how I arrived at mine, but most of the sources online use much less oil, which I'd welcome. At 3:2, is it completely liquid at room temperature?

Re: cognac ... any booze should be similar.

Notes from the underbelly