• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

winter fancy food show

kimmiq

hi all, I'm a new chocolatier, and looking to get into the business.  i was planning on attending the winter fancy food show (anyone else going?)  There is an option to attend a 1 day "basics" workshop and I was wondering if anyone else had attended it before and had any feedback on it.  thanks so much!

21 minutes ago, kimmiq said:

hi all, I'm a new chocolatier, and looking to get into the business.  i was planning on attending the winter fancy food show (anyone else going?)  There is an option to attend a 1 day "basics" workshop and I was wondering if anyone else had attended it before and had any feedback on it.  thanks so much!

A one day basics workshop in what?

Hi Kerry!   This was their description: The Basics covers how to build your brand, sell to supermarkets and specialty retailers, understand whether ecommerce is right for your product, work with brokers and distributors, price your product, extend credit, and market to the trade. You’ll leave with a clearer understanding of the industry, learn best practices, and get real-world answers to your questions. 

I have never been to anything like this before, and was wondering if it was worthwhile. Otherwise, I plan to putz around the conference discovering new foods.  :)

I haven't attended anything like that before - but I suspect it would be useful if only for opening your eyes to possibilities and pitfalls. 

Since FFS runs for several days - you'd still have time to check out the new foods!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I haven't attended anything like that before - but I suspect it would be useful if only for opening your eyes to possibilities and pitfalls. 

Since FFS runs for several days - you'd still have time to check out the new foods!

thanks Kerry!  I have been reading your posts with great interest (and bought a EZ temper a couple months ago).  Will you be there?  would be really cool to meet you in person!

1 hour ago, kimmiq said:

thanks Kerry!  I have been reading your posts with great interest (and bought a EZ temper a couple months ago).  Will you be there?  would be really cool to meet you in person!

Not this year - I’ll be in Rimini for Sijep when that’s on.

• Like 1

I think the workshop would be valuable to someone already in the business that is wanting to go "big". I think you would be better served with baby steps. Get in the business and get confident in what you do before taking a giant step. FFS is fun to walk and see all the new products and talk with vendors.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com