• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oven dulce de leche from sweetened condensed milk?

Nn, M.D.

I don't know if you all have seen the many shortcuts to making dulce de leche from canned sweetened condensed milk, but if not, there's a microwave method, a stovetop method, a pressure cooker method, and a slow cooker method.  These are each great, but require either constant attention or special equipment.  I've seen a few techniques for an oven method, which would be an ideal compromise for a low-maintenance recipe. The issue is that of the methods I have seen, all require the transfer of the milk into a separate container, which invites the possibility of product loss.  In an effort to save every last drop, I was wondering if there was some way to re-create the slow cooker method, which is essentially just a long low simmer in a water bath, in the oven.  In theory it seems reasonable, but I haven't seen anyone try it.  My proposed method:

1. Submerge can(s) of milk in enough water to cover + additional 1-2 inches in a dutch oven. Cover with lid and place in the center of the oven.
  2. Set oven temperature to 190˚ F and let bake for 10 hours.
  3. Turn off oven, remove pot and allow to cool completely on the counter.

It seems reasonable, but if anyone has any reason why it wouldn't work, let me know!

I have made it from "scratch" in a slow cooker.  I posted Mrs. Obregon's Dulce de Leche long ago on Recipe Gullet.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Not to fault any of the replies so far, as I have also done these methods and got great results.  I am asking more of a question of principle, simply if you think a slow low oven method would work.  I've tried each of the methods linked in the original post (except for the pressure cooker), so I'm just seeing how far this can be extended.

The oven method would work the same, after all it's just a time-temperature matter. The problem is that you would spend much more money for gas/electicity than with the usual stovetop method.

Teo

Teo

On 9/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, Nn, M.D. said:

I don't know if you all have seen the many shortcuts to making dulce de leche from canned sweetened condensed milk, but if not, there's a microwave method, a stovetop method, a pressure cooker method, and a slow cooker method.  These are each great, but require either constant attention or special equipment.  I've seen a few techniques for an oven method, which would be an ideal compromise for a low-maintenance recipe. The issue is that of the methods I have seen, all require the transfer of the milk into a separate container, which invites the possibility of product loss.  In an effort to save every last drop, I was wondering if there was some way to re-create the slow cooker method, which is essentially just a long low simmer in a water bath, in the oven.  In theory it seems reasonable, but I haven't seen anyone try it.  My proposed method:

1. Submerge can(s) of milk in enough water to cover + additional 1-2 inches in a dutch oven. Cover with lid and place in the center of the oven.
  2. Set oven temperature to 190˚ F and let bake for 10 hours.
  3. Turn off oven, remove pot and allow to cool completely on the counter.

It seems reasonable, but if anyone has any reason why it wouldn't work, let me know!

I believe that an unopened can of condensed milk in the oven is at risk of exploding. I things that's why the instructions for cooking it under water always state to make sure the water always covers it.

On 9/23/2019 at 7:19 PM, andiesenji said:

Mrs. Obregon's Dulce de Leche

I found Mrs. Obregon's recipe in the RGullet.   Not to cross-thread post, but I think this type of low temp long cook will be a good test of my new Paragon precision .  If I ever open the box.   TJ's has goat milk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1