• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brining Timing...Please Un-confuse Me!!!

Kim Shook

I have been intending to start brining more of my meats.  But in all the research I've been doing on the internet, the timing for brining is all over the place.  For instance - for chicken (pieces or whole), I've seen everything from 2 hours to 24 hours.  I trust y'all a whole lot more than the sites and cooks that I've been reading.  What's the deal???  I truly hope I haven't opened up a can of culinary worms and that y'all don't fall to fussing amongst yourselves.  Help!!!  🤪

I use the method on chef steps 

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/equilibrium-brining

I usually do about 1% and be happy with that. There are dozens of different ways to do it with lots of maths designed to figure out times of spend in the water but I’m waaaaaay to lazy for those. 1% in enough water to cover the meat with whatever container I have on hand to put it in. Leave it overnight in the fridge. Done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I like salting as well.

Me too. Judy Rodgers was my inspiration. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, EatingBen said:

I use the method on chef steps 

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/equilibrium-brining

I usually do about 1% and be happy with that. There are dozens of different ways to do it with lots of maths designed to figure out times of spend in the water but I’m waaaaaay to lazy for those. 1% in enough water to cover the meat with whatever container I have on hand to put it in. Leave it overnight in the fridge. Done

Equilibrium brining eliminates the chance of over brining due to time in the solution.  So it’s the best way to brine IMO as well.