• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Future plans

Hi Amanda,

What plans do you have for the future? Do you want to stay at the NYT for the next 20-30 years? Be the editor of a food magazine? Write other books? What influence, if any, do you wish to have on the food world?

Sorry for these multiple questions, but they can all be answered globally I think. Thank you for your participation in this Q&A.

Anne E. McBride

Sorry, I don't have any advice! You have a fantastic job and should keep it as long as it challenges you. But since many writers see the NYT as the ultimate publication in which to place an article, I was wondering what becomes the next goal once you are on staff there, especially at a young age.

NYT aside, are you working on another book or similar long-term projects? Would you like to focus on one cuisine or style of cookbooks (I mean this in a Paula Wolfert or Diana Kennedy way, not in a limiting sense)?

Anne E. McBride

right now, i just finished a book based on the nyt magazine columns. it's called "cooking for mr. latte". (it's discussed in some of the other q&a questions) i don't have any other books planned at the moment. i don't want to write books just to be published. this may be foolish, but i can't imagine writing a book unless i really cared about the subject. it's a lot of work.