• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Transfer Sheets Not Transferring

Ciordia9

We work with transfer sheets regularly but most of them are not double backed. By that I mean most of them are one layer, not backed with a white layer. I'm having a real problem with consistency in the thicker sheets as seen attached. We attach these individually as they come out of the enrober but it doesn't feel like we're getting enough heat penetration to do a full transfer.

Anyone share some tips on thicker applications like these? Our short run came out fine but as soon as we went into production of course the first batch ends up being shot. :/

_Transfer.thumb.jpg.207a37a9fca5273b4d42bc223798bd38.jpg

Since you are talking about an enrober then you must be using a tempering machine too. Try raising the chocolate temperature as high as possible (32° C for dark).

Another thing: when placing the centers on the enrober, it's better to place them at 45°, so the first (and last, mainly) thing being enrobed is a corner and not a full side.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

Thanks @teonzo we definitely have our temps around that range to begin with but we'll double/triple check. The diagonal we've pondered, thanks for pushing us to try that.

@Eat.Choui, we give them plenty of time to setup. I don't think we've ever removed them early by any standard. I wonder if inversely waiting too long could be a culprit.

By putting it in the fridge--where would that help diagnose? If you've run a flight and chill down some and you have a problem, by then there's no fixing it? Or are you running one small flight..?

It's always peculiar. Just ran another few flights and they all came out fine. So bothersome to not easily put a finger on things. At this point fluctuations in room temp could be a culprit.

@Ciordia9, I know what I'm about to ask about is not your real concern in this thread, but I wanted to ask about the white-backed transfer sheets. I have long thought that would be a good idea because so many colors work only on white chocolate. Red always looks great in the pictures posted by the vendors, but in reality, when used with milk or dark chocolate, it becomes a muddy brownish color. In reality many of the most beautiful transfer sheets turn out to be disappointments, and the photos used to advertise them often amount to false advertising. I have never seen any white-backed transfers in the U.S.  I don't know where you are located, but can you tell us where you got yours?

5 hours ago, Ciordia9 said:

we definitely have our temps around that range to begin with but we'll double/triple check

If you were using the correct chocolate temperature and you had no troubles with the following batch, then it can mean that some transfer sheets went out of temper while in storage. Maybe you stored them for a short period in a hot place and the ones that went out of temper were the ones on the top of the box. Or the courier did such a thing, after all we are just at the end of summer. So you should think about when you received those transfer sheets and where you stored them.

5 hours ago, Ciordia9 said:

The diagonal we've pondered, thanks for pushing us to try that.

Putting them in diagonal will end up with finished pralines without tails. All the ones in the photo have the big tails because of how they were placed. Putting them in diagonal will save you quite some time.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo