• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet epiphanies

14 hours ago, chefmd said:

Realizing that it is OK to obsess over food.  That other people do it too.  That it is ok to spend more money on kitchen gadgets than on shoes.  

LOL Not even close, in my case. I have the brown shoes, this year's black shoes, last year's black shoes, and the non-skid kitchen shoes for when I'm teaching classes. Of course, the whole shoe thing is often different for men.

My kitchen stuff fills every cupboard in my apartment, plus the two we've added that live on top of my fridge and matching upright freezer, plus a freestanding pantry, plus a freestanding wardrobe that's been commandeered as another pantry, plus the space along the entire top of my wall of cupboards, plus part of my closet and the closet in the spare room, plus a significant portion of each of the storage lockers downstairs. I'm not so much a sucker for the latest gadgetry, I just like to have the right tool for the job even if it'll only be used once a year.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'm okay with things performing multiple tasks, but I'm not militant about it. Also, what if you need to do two of those functions at the same time?

I own an Instant Pot, for example, and have never made rice in it despite the many eGers who extoll its virtues as a rice cooker. Why? Because my little cheap-ass Black and Decker works just fine, and takes up less space on my counter. One day I'll find a Zojirushi for cheap on the local online classifieds, and I'll buy that because by all accounts nothing makes better rice and I do eat enough grains to make it worthwhile.

I realize that gives at least the appearance of inconsistency, but so be it. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The biggest take away from gullet for me is the energy for trying something new or even to do the same old thing again with added enthusiasm. I started hanging out here during the time when I owned a restaurant and couldn't sleep at night for obvious reasons. It was comforting to realize that obsessing about little culinary things was normal for a bunch of other people.

Fast forward to the present where I've retired from commercial kitchens but still derive almost daily motivation to cook for me and ms catdaddy. I especially like the mini-blogs and food diaries from all over the world.....not to mention my Anova, Darto pans, and insta-pen.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I could have a kitchen the size of a football field and still not have enough room.

h(I've never actually been on a football field but they look huge on TV).o

it is actually quite amazing. I entered the Los Angeles Coliseum via the tunnel once. I think the most impressive part was looking up  and seeing what the fans look down on. Kitchen space - I am good with tiny galley I could do a boat

• 5 months later...

Looking for tuna salad inspiration I googled eGullet, With the current Momofuku Ranch mania I was amused to see the almost 18 year old mention of Kewpie I knew it prior because it was the mayo on the shelf at my Ranch 99 Chinese market but this still brought a smile.  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/7659-tuna-salad/?do=findComment&comment=59663

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Thanks for the memory.

Have you ever made the Spanish/Basque potato salad with tuna?  Quite good.

Ensalada Rusa, too.

Honestly I have bad memories of the grocery store oil pack tuna with crankcase oil and of dieting and rinsing before water pack became the standard. "fishy" and oil no longer an issue so I will venture therewith the good stuff sometime. I do use potatoes if the mood strikes with tuna. Nice balance.