• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet epiphanies

What "aha" moment have you had on eGullet?   

Some 18 years ago, Cabralles, a young woman who shared her love of travel and fine dining, remarked that she frequently came home from work and enjoyed a glass of champagne as she relaxed and contemplated dinner, advising that an open bottle would last a week if well sealed with a champagne stopper.    No need to wait for "an occasion" for this refreshing quaff.   

Salut!    

• Like 6

eGullet member #80.

Eating roasted cauliflower at the first Heartland Gathering, in 2003.

• Like 8

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Actually, I think my epiphany was just how ground breaking eG was in its early days...

It was absolutely ground breaking!  It began in the days when internet interaction depended on usenet, newsgroups.    Yes, Virginia, there was a time before social media.   I remember Buxbaum telling me, in the context of "rec.travel.europe", that this guy Shaw was going to start a forum about food and I should join.  "What's a forum?" I asked him.    "It's the next thing.   Special interest forums will replace usenet."     I couldn't comprehend this, but went along.   

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

Oh, Lord. Where do I start? All the things I would have never tried and bought (or rather, bought and tried/loved). Sous vide. My CSO. My Instant Pot. Assorted and various ingredients, cuisines that never crossed my radar. Ordering spices from Penzeys. Making duck confit. I have learned so very much from this site.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It was absolutely ground breaking!  It began in the days when internet interaction depended on usenet, newsgroups.    Yes, Virginia, there was a time before social media.   I remember Buxbaum telling me, in the context of "rec.travel.europe", that this guy Shaw was going to start a forum about food and I should join.  "What's a forum?" I asked him.    "It's the next thing.   Special interest forums will replace usenet."     I couldn't comprehend this, but went along.   

I have to laugh because I have tried to explain CompuServe, BMUG,  GEnie, Prodigy, and even AOL which I used briefly and then spend weeks disengaging and eliminating all the little "hooks" it had inserted into my system. 

We had a great  recipe cache in SOAR (Searchable Online Archive of Recipes) that became www.recipesource.com  and a bunch of us foodies, who have migrated from Prodigy to one I forget and then to Yahoo and now on FaceBook have maintained contact all those years.

And trying to explain the "speed" or lack of it is very difficult.

I can recall posting a question, going to fix a cup of coffee and a piece of toast and coming back to the little cursor symbol spinning around until there was a connection.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Today, over morning coffee in bed, I asked Ed...have I ever spoken about 'epiphanies' occurring in eG in the last years?  Neither of us could really recall "ONE" outstanding event of recipe which overrode my basic reaction to my joining eG.  

And it's the people on the list, the many mentors whom I have had, the help I have gotten...sometimes way out of what anyone would have the right to expect.  

I hated cooking until into my mid-sixties.  Ed did so much of it because I hated it so much.  My mother never taught me anything about cooking.  We scarcely got along.  And I was a learner, a scholar, if you will.  I don't mean that I was of a higher level of intelligence...just that my interests were not in my home as far as taking care of it, cleaning it (still loathe that one), cooking, and so on.  I loved to learn (well, that's obvious).  Ed taught me how to cook as much as I did know.  Then one day I looked up a word which I had never heard before 'ganache' and I was away to the races.  Came across eG by accident and the rest, as they say, is history.  Of course pretty much everything was new and exciting. 

Nope, it's my relationship with the members.  And it's been truly amazing to me.  I won't go into any of it, or I'd be tearing up immediately, but the folks who have helped me, not only with cooking, but also with medical and family problems...this has been a wonder to me.  It's been a great time.  And I trust that I've been able on occasion to pass it on. 

• Like 16

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Onion confit.

I'd browsed the forums a bit, but joined as a member because of this onion confit thread.

First time I made it in my slow cooker, it perfumed my apartment for nearly a week. I thought the smell was divine. Drove my husband bonkers!

Time to make onion confit again - but in my InstantPot (purchased also because of EG)!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

Roasted cauliflower, Instant Pot, CSO and as @Okanagancooksaid, the people.  I don’t contribute much, but I read everything.  I’ve learned a lot about cooking and life.

If I had to choose between the cauliflower and the people, I'd eat the people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If I think of one, I would name learning to brine meat.  But the truth is that Egullet taught me (and is still teaching me!) how to cook.  Pretty life changing!  Thank you to everyone who shares their experience, wisdom, (and failures!) here.

• Like 7

On 9/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, weinoo said:

Actually, I think my epiphany was just how ground breaking eG was in its early days, and how so many luminaries from the food world participated on this board.

I lurked here for years, amazed at the chatter of so many well known voices. I was sure I didn’t belong but happy to listen in!

eG members have taught me much, cost me more and saved me from many disasters but what’s benefited me over the last few years was learning from many members that it’s fine to barber almost any recipe down to a single serving or two and knock myself out cooking up a storm....for MYSELF...if that’s what I want!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I lurked here for years, amazed at the chatter of so many well known voices. I was sure I didn’t belong but happy to listen in!

eG members have taught me much, cost me more and saved me from many disasters but what’s benefited me over the last few years was learning from many members that it’s fine to barber almost any recipe down to a single serving or two and knock myself out cooking up a storm....for MYSELF...if that’s what I want!

Well, BD, you sure belong now!

• Like 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Realizing that it is OK to obsess over food.  That other people do it too.  That it is ok to spend more money on kitchen gadgets than on shoes.  

I've always spent more on kitchen "stuff" than on shoes.  And I have a lot of shoes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett