• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

9 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It was absolutely ground breaking!  It began in the days when internet interaction depended on usenet, newsgroups.    Yes, Virginia, there was a time before social media.   I remember Buxbaum telling me, in the context of "rec.travel.europe", that this guy Shaw was going to start a forum about food and I should join.  "What's a forum?" I asked him.    "It's the next thing.   Special interest forums will replace usenet."     I couldn't comprehend this, but went along.   

I have to laugh because I have tried to explain CompuServe, BMUG,  GEnie, Prodigy, and even AOL which I used briefly and then spend weeks disengaging and eliminating all the little "hooks" it had inserted into my system. 

We had a great  recipe cache in SOAR (Searchable Online Archive of Recipes) that became www.recipesource.com  and a bunch of us foodies, who have migrated from Prodigy to one I forget and then to Yahoo and now on FaceBook have maintained contact all those years.

And trying to explain the "speed" or lack of it is very difficult.

I can recall posting a question, going to fix a cup of coffee and a piece of toast and coming back to the little cursor symbol spinning around until there was a connection.

andiesenji

andiesenji

9 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It was absolutely ground breaking!  It began in the days when internet interaction depended on usenet, newsgroups.    Yes, Virginia, there was a time before social media.   I remember Buxbaum telling me, in the context of "rec.travel.europe", that this guy Shaw was going to start a forum about food and I should join.  "What's a forum?" I asked him.    "It's the next thing.   Special interest forums will replace usenet."     I couldn't comprehend this, but went along.   

I have to laugh because I have tried to explain CompuServe, BMUG,  GEnie, Prodigy, and even AOL which I used briefly and then spend weeks disengaging and eliminating all the little "hooks" it had inserted into my system. 

We had a great  recipe cache in SOAR (Searchable Online Archive of Recipes) that became www.recipesource.com  and a bunch of us foodies, who have migrated from Prodigy to one I forget and then to Yahoo and now on FaceBook have maintained contact all those years.