• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Gaijin Cookbook , via WSJ

rotuts

the WSJ had a review of

The Gaijin Cookbook    this weekend :

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-ramen-master-cooks-at-home-11568137063

or

https://flipboard.com/@WSJ/how-a-ramen-master-cooks-at-home/f-b24053a956%2Fwsj.com

it had an interesting Teriyaki sauce , called 12.0 :

Teriyaki 12.0

MAKES: 1 cup

Teriyaki is the embodiment of the sweet-soy flavor so many people associate with Japanese food. It’s a lifesaver for weekday dinners, and you can also employ it for more elaborate projects like slow-cooked ribs. This one requires just five ingredients, and then you’re in teriyaki town.

¼ cup sake

¼ cup mirin

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup oyster sauce

1 tablespoon sugar 

In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients until sugar dissolves. You’re good to go. Store in the fridge up to a couple weeks.

for review purposes.    I don't have sake , nor mirin.  but maybe you do and would like to try it and report back ?

I have the cookbook on reserve from the local library.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

The Gaijin Cookbook  

This caught my interest until I popped onto Amazon.ca and discovered that the hardcover is $32.91 and the Kindle book was $30.39. Who thought that was justifiable?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, kayb said:

$26.97 hardback, $16.99 Kindle, on Amazon US. B'lieve I'll pass.

Still there is a sizeable difference between the two prices! Not so much on Amazon.ca.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog