• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thoughts on eGullet and similar venues

ngatti

Ms. Hesser,

As a professional food writer, do you find forums such as eGullet.com a sea change for the profession. The collective dining (and in some cases professional) rank and file assembling in one place offering considered and in many cases knowledgable opinion about almost all matters culinary. Is it to be viewed as a rich and valuable resource, a guage of the increasing sophistication of a writer's audience, or even a threat to traditional food jouralism? Is the instantaneous feedback something to be lauded or cursed? Are similar venues apt to provide outlet for your writing in the future?

I realize there are many questions here, but I think they are all facets of the same stone. Thank you for your time and generosity.

Nick

i'm pretty new to egullet. i heard of it about two months ago when a chef said to me "i like your writing no matter what mean things they say about you on egullet." that prompted me to check it out.

i'm deeply impressed by the number of people involved on the site and by the breadth of discussion. for that alone, it's great vehicle of exchange.

my first response to the feedback on articles (at the time there was a discussion of one i wrote about san francisco -- i believe it was called "winsome one in sf") was to wonder why readers didn't simply contact me directly. i'd be happy to answer questions or listen to criticism. i get lots of such letters and emails -- and plenty of cranky phonecalls. i've probably been on egullet a handful of times since and have enjoyed it. i wouldn't say that i've fully explored the site yet. it's huge. so i'm not sure yet how i would use it as a resource.

does this answer your questions? if not, let me know.