• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownie troubleshooting - what could be going wrong?

understandingcocoa

Hi all, 

I very occasionally have the following problem, and I can’t for the life of me work out why.  

The two photos are from the exact same batch just split into two separate identical pans. 

It seems to happen randomly and doesn’t happen with a particular flavour/ any certain toppings etc. 

First pan in the oven - perfect shine, second pan in the oven - almost grainy appearance? Still taste the same. 

TIA

DEB166BB-FF7D-487F-963B-0F9EC5D783EF.jpeg

DE298483-2159-475A-80AB-A3E4249A5D9A.jpeg

Probably it's due to the surface of the second pan drying while waiting out of the oven. What are the temperature and humidity of your kitchen?

If this is the case, then you just need to spray a bit of water on the surface of the second pan while the first one is cooking.

Teo

Teo

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

Probably it's due to the surface of the second pan drying while waiting out of the oven. What are the temperature and humidity of your kitchen?

If this is the case, then you just need to spray a bit of water on the surface of the second pan while the first one is cooking.

Teo

Thanks Teo, I'll try to track whether it's always the pans that go in the oven later.

Kitchen temp approx 19C, no idea on humidity but I'd say pretty low (UK based)