• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada is a nation divided! Do raisins belong in butter tarts

Anna N

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not gonna say raisins don't belong in butter tarts, I'm just gonna say they don't belong in my butter tarts. I'm not gonna tell anybody else what to put in their butter tarts. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I can see I'm in the minority, but butter tarts just aren't...right...without raisins.

Neither are oatmeal cookies, though I can enjoy them plain or with chopped dates if needs must. Chocolate simply doesn't belong.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

I thought they called for currants...

Teo

I am willing to bet, even though I love my fellow countrypersons, that only two in 10 would know what a currant is when it doesn’t relate to the Great Lakes or the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Spelling aside.

Edited by Anna N
Edited to make it more clear that I know the difference between current and currant. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am willing to bet, even though I love my fellow countrypersons, that only two in 10 would know what a currant is when it doesn’t relate to the Great Lakes or the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Spelling aside.

I'm one of the two.  I have some in my pantry.

• Like 1

I have both raisins and currants in my storage bins but I loathe Butter Tarts from the get-go.  I could just say that they are too sweet for my taste...but honestly I find them sickeningly sweet and they make my teeth call out "NO!". 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I'm one of the two.  I have some in my pantry.

Yeah, we are unique subset of the population.

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I can troll only the US people about raisins/currants?

Teo

Teo

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think you might lose that bet ;)

11 hours ago, teonzo said:

I thought they called for currants...

Teo

Raisin's uptown cousins... in most raisin-oriented baking projects, the subtle differences tend to be lost and it's just mini raisins. If I'm going to bother with raisins, I prefer the golden raisins over regular raisins and dried currants. That little bit of tartness they tend to hold on to makes a big difference in raisin enjoyment for me. Just a little more tartness would make them even better.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Raisin's uptown cousins... in most raisin-oriented baking projects, the subtle differences tend to be lost and it's just mini raisins. If I'm going to bother with raisins, I prefer the golden raisins over regular raisins and dried currants. That little bit of tartness they tend to hold on to makes a big difference in raisin enjoyment for me. Just a little more tartness would make them even better.

Interesting you would say that about raisins.  I never get the dark raisins either as I prefer the yellow ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

So, would chopped dried cranberries , aka craisins, be a close currant substitute?

I’m not Canadian and have never had a butter tart. Raisins would interfere with my wanting a butter tart under ordinary circumstances, but if I had an opportunity to become Canadian that required choking down a few raisins, I’d manage. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

but if I had an opportunity to become Canadian that required choking down a few raisins, I’d manage. 

But you would have to do it politely.

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

So, would chopped dried cranberries , aka craisins, be a close currant substitute?

Not in my world.😂

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog