• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Melissa Coppel Class?

BVWells

Afternoon everyone. I know that some of you have taken classes with Melissa Coppel and I am finally going to bite the bullet and take one of her classes, but I don't know whether I should take her "Intensive Chocolate Workshop" class or her "Running a Chocolate Production" class. I hear all of her classes are great, but I'm just wondering which one would be better for an amateur home chocolate maker who is pretty confident in his tempering and ganache skills, but is looking to take that next step. Thanks in advance!!

Branden

If you are an amateur and want to open a business with a limited budget, then it's much better to spend that money to get better/more equipment. Better equipment will make much more difference than taking one of those classes. If you don't have budget limits, then take both classes and have fun.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

You say 'amateur home chocolate maker' so I think the Intensive Chocolate Workshop is more for you if you plan to keep it mostly as a hobby and want to learn new techniques.  I believe the production class is more about shelf life and scaling up as a business, though I haven't taken it. 

Is 'that next step' upping your bonbon game with more colors and layers and new toys, or growing a part-time business into full time with a commercial kitchen and wholesale accounts?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

@BVWells wonderful that you will be taking a class with Melissa Coppel! I would suggest that you email her and ask her your question about which class would be the best fit for you. She might have additional questions for you but I suspect that this would be the best way to ensure that you take the right class. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I think a better title for the production class would be “Recipes and Décor Techniques for Production.” I think the two classes are very similar but the production one only provides recipes with a 3 month shelf life and decor techniques that would be possible in a production setting. No suuuuuuuper tricky painting or super perishable fillings. The topics covered are really similar. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@BVWells did you decide to take Melissa’s January course (intensive)?  I have been thinking about someday taking her course too, and wondering if this is maybe the right time for me too.... excited and a little nervous (ain’t gonna lie :)).  It’d be my first real course

• 1 month later...

@sbain  Hello!  I wanted to ask how was your experience with the Chocolate Intensive class?  There is a class in March that I am thinking about registering for, but it'll be my first time doing anything like this so I'm a bit hesitant and intimidated.  I make molded chocolates for my job, but haven't had much formal training and have been figuring things out through online videos and trial and error.  My skill level is a concern.  What was the general skill level of the others taking the class with you?  Also, was there a lot of hands on experience?  Solo or group?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 2:16 AM, sbain said:

@BVWells did you decide to take Melissa’s January course (intensive)?  I have been thinking about someday taking her course too, and wondering if this is maybe the right time for me too.... excited and a little nervous (ain’t gonna lie :)).  It’d be my first real course

Sorry for the late...really late reply. I did, and the class was great!! How did you enjoy it?