• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BVWells

Which Melissa Coppel Class?

Afternoon everyone. I know that some of you have taken classes with Melissa Coppel and I am finally going to bite the bullet and take one of her classes, but I don't know whether I should take her "Intensive Chocolate Workshop" class or her "Running a Chocolate Production" class. I hear all of her classes are great, but I'm just wondering which one would be better for an amateur home chocolate maker who is pretty confident in his tempering and ganache skills, but is looking to take that next step. Thanks in advance!!

Branden

If you are an amateur and want to open a business with a limited budget, then it's much better to spend that money to get better/more equipment. Better equipment will make much more difference than taking one of those classes. If you don't have budget limits, then take both classes and have fun.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

You say 'amateur home chocolate maker' so I think the Intensive Chocolate Workshop is more for you if you plan to keep it mostly as a hobby and want to learn new techniques.  I believe the production class is more about shelf life and scaling up as a business, though I haven't taken it. 

Is 'that next step' upping your bonbon game with more colors and layers and new toys, or growing a part-time business into full time with a commercial kitchen and wholesale accounts?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

@BVWells wonderful that you will be taking a class with Melissa Coppel! I would suggest that you email her and ask her your question about which class would be the best fit for you. She might have additional questions for you but I suspect that this would be the best way to ensure that you take the right class. Enjoy!

I think a better title for the production class would be “Recipes and Décor Techniques for Production.” I think the two classes are very similar but the production one only provides recipes with a 3 month shelf life and decor techniques that would be possible in a production setting. No suuuuuuuper tricky painting or super perishable fillings. The topics covered are really similar. 

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• By Beckykp27
      I'm trying to make bonbons with milk shells for the first time and I'm struggling. When I melt my milk chocolate it is really thick. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure humidity is not an issue. I'm concerned that my shells wont empty out well and I'll be left with no room for ganache. I tried adding some cocoa butter last time but it affected the flavor. 

Disclaimer: I'm using pretty cheap milk chocolate (Ghirardelli) cuz I'm still learning. If you think this is the only issue please let me know.
    • By Ciordia9
      We work with transfer sheets regularly but most of them are not double backed. By that I mean most of them are one layer, not backed with a white layer. I'm having a real problem with consistency in the thicker sheets as seen attached. We attach these individually as they come out of the enrober but it doesn't feel like we're getting enough heat penetration to do a full transfer.

Anyone share some tips on thicker applications like these? Our short run came out fine but as soon as we went into production of course the first batch ends up being shot.

• By cslas
      So a question about guitar cutters. I can see why they're a superior method for cutting ganache in terms of uniformity and efficiency, but I was wondering if there's something about cutting with a metal string that's superior to cutting with a knife? Perhaps a ganache would stick to the string less than the knife? Where I'm headed with this is, as someone who's just starting out and not ready to invest in a guitar cutter, I'm wondering if using a cheese lyre to cut ganache might be better than using a knife?
    • By eglies
      Hey guys :) 

Im having difficulties with my tempering machine. The chocolate is not in temper. Ive made several tests and they all have certain marks on. 
      Im in a hot country so i make sure to have my mould in temper and then i pop them in the fridge to make sure they set properly. 
      Any tips? Something i should be considering? 
      Anything would be of great help!!!! 

• By eglies
      Hi there,

How low can you go on calculating pricing on wedding favours. 

I use this method which assumes you want a 50% mark up:  Cost of item: 4 dollars (100-50)x100

I know its up to me to decide the mark up percentage I use but how low should can you/should you go?

Thanks guys
      E