• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noma grills

Stuart Tett

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I guess - I've never used mine for that purpose either - but they are made of welded stainless steel so I imagine they'd be fine...

Not counting the ones made of horse hair.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Your local big box store should have several options for grill baskets. I have one that's a heavy-gauge wire in about 1/2 inch squares with a top that closes over it so you can flip things; it's handy to grill squash, eggplant slices, burgers, etc. I have another that looks like a 10-inch saute pan but the bottom is covered with round holes. They are about 1/2 inch wide. I have not specifically seen one, but I'll bet you could find one with the equivalent of a screen wire bottom, or make your own with some heavy-duty screen wire, a cheap springform pan sans bottom, and a soldering iron.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

Your local big box store should have several options for grill baskets. I have one that's a heavy-gauge wire in about 1/2 inch squares with a top that closes over it so you can flip things; it's handy to grill squash, eggplant slices, burgers, etc. I have another that looks like a 10-inch saute pan but the bottom is covered with round holes. They are about 1/2 inch wide. I have not specifically seen one, but I'll bet you could find one with the equivalent of a screen wire bottom, or make your own with some heavy-duty screen wire, a cheap springform pan sans bottom, and a soldering iron.

Yep, I'm familiar with those. I was just curious about them using this. Most likely because they are working with really small vegetables. But most things I can think of for this purpose wouldn't hold up to the heat. But maybe either they don't care or, the amount of time is so short that it's not an issue.