• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Gambles on Vegas

Kerry Beal

44 minutes ago, curls said:

Maybe the packaging weighs a lot and when it is unboxed you can find a way to move it. Perhaps some of your coworkers could help... maybe give them some Rancho Gordo beans. Hope you can make this work out.

Worst case I leave the Vesta outdoors.  I have a long extension cord from the days I had a Diesel Jeep with a headbolt heater.  Almost as amusing as the time back when I was in business and our office manager ordered 2000 2meter USB cables shipped via UPS.  She never thought about the weight.  Though I'm not sure I would have either.  USB cables don't weigh much do they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

55 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Specification not given.  The power is listed as 210 Watts which would be 0.281615 horsepower.  Wish I had a horse to help get it upstairs.  If I ever get it unpacked and operational I will measure the power.

Not necessarily. The rated wattage is typically the max power consumption, which would be if the compressor and all other fans etc are running simultaneously. So I imagine the compressor is quite a bit less than 1/4 hp to account for the fans... It is a BLAST freezer, right?

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Worst case I leave the Vesta outdoors.  I have a long extension cord from the days I had a Diesel Jeep with a headbolt heater.  Almost as amusing as the time back when I was in business and our office manager ordered 2000 2meter USB cables shipped via UPS.  She never thought about the weight.  Though I'm not sure I would have either.  USB cables don't weigh much do they?

on a serious note, do you know anyone who can help schlep it up the stairs? Maybe the super?

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

on a serious note, do you know anyone who can help schlep it up the stairs? Maybe the super?

Because of the virus we have been asked not to contact management except in an emergency.  And schlepping upstairs is not something they would do (for insurance reasons) even in normal times.

• Like 1

An only slightly larger, more expensive Summit forced air freezer (that does not get as cold as the Vesta) has a shipping weight of 51 kg.  So 32 kg sounds reasonable.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Maybe tip the delivery guys handsomely?

Definetely this!
Big bach of cookies + puppy eyes + "I'm a lady in stressful times" + some fake tears running on your cheeks.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

How long would it take amazon to bring you a hand truck? or does someone in the building own one and would drop it outside your door?

Four days, minimum.  I realize you are undoubtedly an expert on these things.  But does a hand truck help with stairs?  Once the freezer is upstairs I'm pretty sure I can manipulate it into position.  Could you send your blimp?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Maybe tip the delivery guys handsomely?

UPS drivers are not allowed.  But as you suggest, hiring a contractor is a possibility.  Not something I had budgeted for.  However, on the brighter side, my stimulus check is coming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teonzo said:

Definetely this!
Big bach of cookies + puppy eyes + "I'm a lady in stressful times" + some fake tears running on your cheeks.

Teo

Teo, did you ever decide to get one for yourself?