• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heinz - How to Pour Ketchup Correctly

Toliver

21 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I saw a little write-up on ketchup bottles in a daily email from The Atlantic and I really agree with their conclusion! I think those generic red tabletop bottles are way better than their commercial designs! What do you folks think? 

Ketchup bottles. If you’re old enough to remember glass Heinz ketchup bottles, you might also recall how frustrating they were to use. You’d strike the bottom until, eventually, a huge blob would splurt out, ruining your plate.

Heinz’s current bottle is squeezable and it relocates the dispenser to the bottom, but its valve is so tight that a heap of ketchup still comes out with each squeeze.

I compared the Heinz squeezable bottle with the cylindrical, fine-tipped sort that adorn many a diner and picnic table. I could get that generic bottle to output 30 times less condiment per squeeze, and in a fine line instead of a wide dollop. Today’s bottle might be good for a fry-dipping excursion, but it releases too much ketchup to dress a burger or hot dog.

The earlier, cheaper packaging technology seems superior. So why would Heinz deploy a worse—or at least less flexible—design?

Daniel Johnson, the chair of packaging science at Rochester Institute of Technology, assured me that big companies such as Kraft Heinz put lots of R&D behind their packaging. The ketchup bottle would have been subject to focus-group studies of usage preferences, bottle-holding habits, and more. A Heinz spokesperson told me, “We’ve found that our consumers prefer a dollop to top a burger or for dipping.”

That would explain why the bottle works the way it does, but it can’t stop me from lamenting such a one-note use of our nation’s favorite condiment. Invest in a cheap, picnic-type bottle and dispense from the brand-name bottle into it for a more versatile squeeze.

Uhm...First World  problems.

Regarding "...You’d strike the bottom until, eventually, a huge blob would splurt out, ruining your plate."

If a blob of ketchup ruined your plate, I'd say you have bigger issues than a "ruined" plate.

If someone has as issue with the amount of ketchup that comes out, why put it on your plate? Lots of cuisines use dipping bowls for condiments. Squirt as much or as little that you want into the dipping bowl...what does it matter how much comes out when you squirt it then? Your plate or your food won't be "ruined".

Someone got paid to write that faux article about a made-up problem? ¬¬ Puh-leeze.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 6/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, Toliver said:

Uhm...First World  problems.

Regarding "...You’d strike the bottom until, eventually, a huge blob would splurt out, ruining your plate."

If a blob of ketchup ruined your plate, I'd say you have bigger issues than a "ruined" plate.

If someone has as issue with the amount of ketchup that comes out, why put it on your plate? Lots of cuisines use dipping bowls for condiments. Squirt as much or as little that you want into the dipping bowl...what does it matter how much comes out when you squirt it then? Your plate or your food won't be "ruined".

Someone got paid to write that faux article about a made-up problem? ¬¬ Puh-leeze.

Personally, I actually live in the first world with all of its attendant petty problems.  I like getting a little attention now and then. 

• Like 2

OK, I took one for the team:  an Oxo Good Grips Chef's Squeeze Bottle.

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Perfect application of ketchup to my Kenji smashburger.  I was so delighted I prepared myself a second smashburger.  Sadly I was too full, I couldn't finish it.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I prefer the squeeze bottle with the cap at the bottom. In our home catsup has 2 uses, dipping sauce for our grandchildren, and topping (before baking) meatloaf. The 3 y/o grandchild would prefer to just eat the catsup, but we do require her to eat some actual food.

RE ... we do require ...  My mother was the wrong kind of indulgent, not expecting the kids to behave. My wonderful in-laws showed lots of love and kindness, but expected the kids to behave.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

yesterday when I was making my sloppy joe recipe and needed to measure out 2/3 cup of ketchup, I had to take the cap off the bottom of the container in order to squeeze out anything more than a teaspoon.  Since they still make the bottled version I think I'll choose that next time.

• Like 1

Dipping sauce for my grandchildren.  A little kinky but I can't wait to try.  I love my new Oxo ketchup bottle.  I think that I shall sleep with it.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...

So you got that fast food to-go order and are frustrated that you can't quite get all of the ketchup out of those little condiment packets...

Worry no more! Click the link below for the answer to your problem...

https://www.heinzpacketroller.com/Home/Shop

xD

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This pre-supposes that you can get the dang packet open even after using your teeth and cutting your lip. Cursing optional. My nemesis are the Sriracha packets which can squirt you in the eye - painful - after you go agro on them.

• Haha 2