• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooks Illustrated COCKTAIL RECIPE BOOK

eugenep

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

What 2 recipes?

book not out yet but sample pages on amazon shows the egg foam Whiskey Sour https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/9043-whiskey-sour?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

and, this is an assumption, not confirmed yet, there will be the Aperol Flip 

both using egg white foam 

The Aperol Flip has this perfect balance of sour, sweetness, and alcohol but what made both incredible was the egg white 

I've read about using egg white and that I thought it was added to give texture and foam, which I didn't care about that much since I would be using carbonated soda (achieving a bubbly foam texture already) 

but I had extra egg white and tried out their recipes and WOW! 

the egg white adds something else unexpected and not just the foam and texture but body 

this depth of body in my cocktail was unexpected and it felt like I was "eating my cocktail" like the satisfaction of eating a sandwich - only it was eating a cocktail 

I've been saving my egg whites since then and making either the aperol flip or sour 

interested in trying out others 

the only other time I had such a wow expereince with cocktails was at Death & Co bar in NYC 

Edited by eugenep (log)

@eugenep

do you have a decent library system ?

look there first.

I will say , ATK , in spite of its voluminous churn , has a cracker- jack

photography section :  Most Excelent Food P0rn !

they have a burger book :  pics fantastic !

and that's what modern CB seem to be about.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@eugenep

do you have a decent library system ?

look there first.

I will say , ATK , in spite of its voluminous churn , has a cracker- jack

photography section :  Most Excelent Food P0rn !

they have a burger book :  pics fantastic !

and that's what modern CB seem to be about.

I agree with you about the churn. I realized that most of the recipes in all their books are already on the website database so if you do a search, you could find the recipe without buying the book most of the time. 

To tell you the truth I I kept my subscription to Cooks Illustrated rather than switching to Milk Street only because of the database of thousands of recipes and equipment reviews that Milk Street hasn't built up yet and needs time. 

The churn doesn't bother me so much as firing and suing Mr. Kimball and threatening lawsuits to bloggers and homecooks that post online. 

But their recipes work and it does seem tested. 

• Like 1