• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Menus

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Misspellings may not be typos though.

How do you determine which is which? I would argue that a typo, a typographical error, is any error in typeset material. A typo I would argue is the end result and may be caused by a slip of the fingers or by poor spelling skills.:smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

How do you determine which is which? I would argue that a typo, a typographical error, is any error in typeset material. A typo I would argue is the end result and may be caused by a slip of the fingers or by poor spelling skills.:smile:

I'd say bad spelling is not a typographical error.

So Holliday is bad spelling....oystern is probably a typo (or a weird plural) etc.

Wow. Can you imagine typing it never mind cooking it?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I'm wondering what the difference is in between Maryland, Philadelphia and Plaza style terrapin.

About fifty cents?

OK, I was kidding.  But here's a small hint as to the difference between Maryland & Philadelphia styles. From the article, Fear the Turtle or Eat the Turtle:

The food historian Evan Jones recorded in his book American Food (1990) that a competition was held in 1893 between Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Club and the Baltimore Maryland Club to see whose terrapin recipe was better. The Philadelphians used a “cream sauce that was blended with a turtle sauce before the meat was added,” and the Marylanders used a “clear soup laced with butter and sherry and dominated by the pickled turtle meat untainted by herbs or cream.” (Well, of course, Maryland won. )

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well the price is right. Not a great deal on there that makes my mouth water but I do wonder about raisin coffee. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well the price is right. Not a great deal on there that makes my mouth water but I do wonder about raisin coffee. 

Quite a bit on there makes my mouth water.  Then again when I was going through financial difficulties a few years back I dined at the soup kitchen, which made those fancy restaurant prices seem excessive.  Good it was too.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Agreed, but I guess that during the Depression, 'mouthwatering' was a rare luxury for many people. Basic sustenance would have been more important.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Quite a bit on there makes my mouth water.  Then again when I was going through financial difficulties a few years back I dined at the soup kitchen, which made those fancy restaurant prices seem excessive.  Good it was too.

No doubt that hunger is the best appetite stimulant. I’m not a stranger to hunger (perhaps you can surmise from this the likely cause of my often stated objection to anything that resembles a pulse) , nevertheless, I would have to be pretty close to desperation to find that any of these offerings actually made my mouth water these days. I am not being insensitive to those who had to get through the depression (and those who still face hunger every day).   I am just stating a fact about my own reactions. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

for me ,  I wonder what the food tasted like :

Navy Bean Soup    --- probably no bacon 

Creamed Cod Fish on Toast

Cabbage and Carrot Salad

Rice and Raisin Pudding   ( splurging a bit )

and yes , I have to try the Rain Coffee.

Six Cents .

Well… raisin coffee sent me down the rabbit hole, to no avail. I wonder if it was just water which had raisins boiled in it to extract the sweetness. 

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.