• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

12 year aged Beef Tenderlion

Paul Bacino

Was rummaging through the  freezer,  can across an vacuum seal beef tenderloin.  ( Manginola )  7/07

Turned out to be a hidden gem/  No freezer burn at all.

Thawed it portioned it/ sous vide 120F about 1.5 hrs in Irish  Butter / seared over charcoal .  Pretty darn nice / showed age and not dissected .  No finished shot.  Sorry

Now I'm not sure if this was frozen over dry ice/  I have done some meat quick freeze  FWIW

48677589463_f9ab3629d5_o.thumb.jpg.8685550d950aaf644faef89496dc4a1a.jpg

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

13 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Nice Find.  Vacuum sealing has saved a lot of food from the garbage can

Yes. I've unearthed some lovely venison that was well sealed and then lost in the freezer. I don't know if I've quite reached the 12-year mark, but I've hit the 10-year mark anyway.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

53 minutes ago, Jayycl said:

aging it in the freezer doesn't make the flavor better though? It just preserves it. but 12 years, that is quite a long time.

I kinda  was thinking that.

But my mind cant remember,  that color and that flavor profile from that producer.  Plus I  have done a'lot of home aging, maybe I prior aged it.

I usually did a 30 day wet and 30 day dry.

But just having fun with a bit of wordage..any hoot

Cheers  B

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

BTW - when I was young, my parents would routinely make roasts that were long past their birthday (not 12 years, but maybe two or three)... and we didn't have a vacuum sealer, but my father always wrapped things very well in plastic wrap and plastic bags, and they sat at the bottom of a large, non-self-defrosting chest freezer that was kept really cold - around -15F.

• Like 1