• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adoption: moving a drink to a new family

EvergreenDan

Martinez: Gin (typically Old Tom), sweet vermouth (Punt e Mes in my house), a bit of maraschino, and bitters.
Martinez as a sour: Above, but add lemon juice. Improves the drink, especially when made with original ratios (a lot of sweet vermouth). Egg white would be extra credit.
Martinez as a high ball: Above sour, but also add fizzy stuff. I used Bitter Lemon.

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

For my taste, a lot of drinks could be improved by your adoption program. That's not commentary on the quality of those drinks, just an indictment of my personal taste in cocktails. There are very few all-booze cocktails that are as enjoyable to me as those with some intervention from non-alcohol ingredients.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just followed suit with a Sour Liberal: equal parts rye, sweet vermouth, Amer Picon (Boudreau), lemon juice, and a dash orange bitters. Not bad. A little surprised at how much the acid tamped down the assertiveness of the amer. 

D57CBB5C-B8C8-490F-8902-D46A2C92DB7D.jpeg

On 9/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, Craig E said:

A little surprised at how much the acid tamped down the assertiveness of the amer.

I've had this discussion before. To my taste buds, sour reduces bitter. Some don't find this to be true.  For me, a Negroni is a fairly "advanced" bitter drink. Campari, soda, and lemon is much easier.

Also: Maybe try Punt e Mes is your Sourpuss Liberal.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cdh said:

Lots of cocktails make delicious highballs... I like my Manhattans tall and fizzy pretty often. 

Campari seems to bridge categories well. I recently took the Negroni back to a highball by replacing the vermouth with bitter lemon.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

For a Negroni-as-highball, I'd include the sweet vermouth because its such a big part of the flavor profile. Maybe add both bitter lemon and lemon juice to base Negroni?

BTW, seltzer and just about any amaro or aperitif makes a great low alcohol cocktail. Maybe with a squeeze of lemon.

• Like 1