• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

I can only say that we usually experience excellent service.    We have an inside joke about going into a new restaurant and meeting the waiter from hell, supercilious, condescending, with that "you are SO lucky to have gotten in here!" attitude.    By the time we have placed our order, he is slightly more accommodating.    After seeing our responses to a course or two, he is close to amenable.   By the end of the meal, he is positively jovial.    As we walk out the door, husband will say, "Well, we broke him down."      And a good time will have been had by all.      But acquaintances,  having had a same waiter at a same restaurant, have told us of the miserable time they had, mostly because of this person whom they felt was antagonistic and pushed his own agenda,      They never made the attempt to get him on their side.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

On 8/31/2019 at 1:48 PM, weinoo said:

I always attempt to engage our waitperson, bus person, water pourer, et al. right from the start of a meal.

It's nice for them to know that I know they are real people doing hard jobs. It helps to get them on my side.

Bravo!     I can only say that we usually experience excellent service.    We have an inside joke about going into a new restaurant and meeting the waiter from hell, supercilious, condescending, with that "you are SO lucky to have gotten in here!" attitude.    By the time we have placed our order, he is slightly more accommodating.    After seeing our responses to a course or two, he is close to amenable.   By the end of the meal, he is positively jovial.    As we walk out the door, husband will say, "Well, we broke him down."      And a good time will have been had by all.      But acquaintances,  having had a same waiter at a same restaurant, have told us of the miserable time they had, mostly because of this person whom they felt was antagonistic and pushed his own agenda,      They never made the attempt to get him on their side.