• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I see nothing in her article to suggest she was looking to be "chatted up" or would have welcomed that if it had happened.

I think you understand exactly what I meant. I used a miniscule bit of hyperbole to make a point. 

People go to a restaurant to eat, not to engage the servers.  Her line that 'people looked right through her' certainly doesn't apply to every customer or probably even most customers. Maybe some. And why not? They didn't come to validate her, they came to eat. 

Perhaps her adventure in the real working world will prompt some self examination about how the world relates to her. 

I recall how Michael Ruhlman, in his book about studying at the CIA, had an epiphany when he realized that some jobs require dedication  and actual hard work.

gfweb

gfweb

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I see nothing in her article to suggest she was looking to be "chatted up" or would have welcomed that if it had happened.

I think you understand exactly what I meant. I used a miniscule bit of hyperbole to make a point. 

People go to a restaurant to eat, not to engage the servers.  Her line that 'people looked right through her' certainly doesn't apply to every customer or even most customers. Maybe some. And why not? They didn't come to validate her, they came to eat.