• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Pépin's video on How to Make an Omelette

Toliver

I received my weekly email from TASTE (TasteCooking.com) and saw one of the articles was about Jacques Pépin's famous video on how to make an omelette. 

The article:

"When Jacques Pépin Made All the World an Omelet"

In April of 1995, Jacques Pépin taped a cooking demonstration that detailed how to make an omelet. And while it was merely one of 105 segments the chef recorded over a frantic two-day period in a studio in Northern California, the clip has become one of the most beloved food videos of all time. This is its story.

This is Jacque's video, spoken about in the article:

"Learn Jacques Pépin's famous omelet techniques"

It's interesting that out of the many videos he made, this one became so well known.

I have to tell the truth that when he made the classic french omelette and stirred the eggs in his non-stick skillet with a metallic fork, I cringed. Of course, he knew what he was doing and the fork mixed the egg and didn't scrape the skillet. But I quickly did a search on Amazon for a silicone fork and, yes, they exist. Phew! He may trust his hands but I don't trust mine. xD

Any other Jacques fans out there?

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 7

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

...when he made the classic french omelette and stirred the eggs in his non-stick skillet with a metallic fork, I cringed. Of course, he knew what he was doing and the fork mixed the egg and didn't scrape the skillet.

As well you should have.   Many novices watching wouldn't know the difference.     I remember one of our son's early girl friend's watching me clean a non-stick pan with a ChoreGirl, one of those curly wire scrubbers, and then doing it at home, removing the entire surface.   "But I saw your mother doing exactly the same thing!"  not realizing that I was not using any pressure, only a wipe over.      

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Who else would do a book on just technique!  That book is a treasure as are his many internet videos.  Too many treasures but boning chickens amongst my favourites.

I love watching him and Julia cook together...disagreeing but somehow never bickering.

Thanks for the link.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, Toliver said:

I received my weekly email from TASTE (TasteCooking.com) and saw one of the articles was about Jacques Pépin's famous video on how to make an omelette. 

The article:

"When Jacques Pépin Made All the World an Omelet"

This is Jacque's video, spoken about in the article:

"Learn Jacques Pépin's famous omelet techniques"

It's interesting that out of the many videos he made, this one became so well known.

I have to tell the truth that when he made the classic french omelette and stirred the eggs in his non-stick skillet with a metallic fork, I cringed. Of course, he knew what he was doing and the fork mixed the egg and didn't scrape the skillet. But I quickly did a search on Amazon for a silicone fork and, yes, they exist. Phew! He may trust his hands but I don't trust mine. xD

Any other Jacques fans out there?

Im just about weaned from nonstick. I use seasoned Darto and Matfer steel pans for omelets and have no problems. About the only thing they can’t do is scrambled eggs, unless you use the French method. 

• Like 2

those two JP clips for me are the finest.

looks so easy , doesn't it ?

there is also a " French- style " fork that's useful for omelets :

its a bit longer than a regular USA , the tines are a bit closer together

and importantly the bottom of the fork is flat , not rounded.

have no idea where the two i inherited from my mother are.   handle was riveted wood inserts.

from France , a zillion years ago , and not expensive at all .

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

I recall a Top Chef that had the young stars be challenged to make an omelet in the first trial. What a CF it was. Raised questions about their legitimacy. 

Yes, if I remember correctly they were pretty bad...I think that whole group were struggling.  Perhaps the season when Tom told them they sucked and had to step it up a notch.

• Like 2