• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rowan Berry, uses in sweets?

SchiehallionHandmade

Apart from loads of apples we also have a ton of Rowan berries. 

It is very sharp and bitter and most people make rowan jelly. Has anyone ever made a chocolate filling or anything in a, sweet/Confection using rowans? 

Wanting to use all local produce in new and interesting ways 😂

Ill be infusing my local heather to go with my local Talisker whisky (yes, no e in our whisky) 😍

Pretty hard to know what's really local for you.

Most honeys pair well with sorbus, if you can find lavender honey then I would try that. Since you talk about heather, heather honey is nice too. You need a honey with some character otherwise it will be masked by the chocolate taste.

Various flowers pair well: chamomile, rose, lavender, violet (too costly though), cornflower.

Some herbs: bay leaf, mint, marjoram.

Seeds: fennel, sunflower, anise, sesame.

Spices (not local, of course): cinnamon, ginger, mace, most peppers, cloves.

It should work with most nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews) and some roots (burdock and licorice).

Teo

Teo

2 hours ago, Desiderio said:

I am not familiar with these berries (at least not in English), but I found this interesting site, maybe it will give you some ideas. Have fun, I love new projects that challenge creativity.

https://foragerchef.com/rowanberries/ 

You may know the rowan tree by its American English name, "mountain ash". They're common in northern Minnesota and parts of Michigan, but I don't know about Grand Rapids. In northern Minnesota the berries are turning conspicuously red right now.  Beyond a name clarification, I can't help: I've never worked with the berries and don't have any recipes to help the original poster. My recipes are for a sweet jelly, a tart jelly, and a meat glaze or rub using the berries.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Back in the mid-90s, I sampled a Rowan berry whisky distilled by or for a vendor at the Balnakeil Craft Village outside of Durness.  It wasn't very appealing.  I would think, however, it might serve to provide an interesting hint of flavor to a chocolate dessert.