• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do I need a....

Margaret Pilgrim

Seriously, I have found the comments, remarks, experiences related on this thread enormously interesting and helpful.    Not the least valuable is the self-realization that I've gained by relating to others' usage and opinions of these various appliances.    We, no, YOU are a bonanza of experience and ingenuity.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

You got a chamber vacsealer for $40?

Yeaaaahhhhh I think that dude(ette) is referring to a standard vacsealer, not a chamber.

I use my old (OLD) foodsaver at least weekly, and I can do basic flash pickling using small mason jars and the jar sealer quite well.  I get lost in the specs, and want one that does it all, but then those go way beyond what I want to pay.  Such as retort canning.  When am I actually going to retort can?!  Pffft.

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

What is this thread about, really? It appears to be useful for talking oneself into or out of certain appliances. Or trying to justify not needing something or justifying your love of something.

I didn't feel the OP was negatively reflecting on this thread but rather expressing her take (and others) on its benefit to her.

p