• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't use the microwave for much, but for what I do use it for I can't imagine using anything else - defrosting frozen stock and quickly thawing frozen bread products prior to toasting (my wife uses it every day to defrost an english muffin).  I'm interested what one would use instead of the microwave for these things - I'll be renovating a new apartment and I'm on the fence as to whether I need a microwave or not (it currently doesn't have one)... btw, I make popcorn (probably most people's #1 microwave use) on the stove top....

Frozen English muffins or sandwich rolls go in the CSO on steam-bake @ 300°F for 3 min to thaw, then split and back in to toast.  I don't like the effect a microwave has on bread products so I've never use it for that. 

I generally freeze stock in zip locks so I thaw by immersing in warm water.  I might use the immersion circulator or warm/hot tap water.  If it's just an ice cube of stock, I'll put it in the CSO in a little pyrex cup, which is the same thing I use to melt small amounts of butter. 

Another nice CSO use is for gently warming cheese using the warming setting @ 125°F for a few minutes.  Perfect for taking the chill off a nice blue or brie.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't use the microwave for much, but for what I do use it for I can't imagine using anything else - defrosting frozen stock and quickly thawing frozen bread products prior to toasting (my wife uses it every day to defrost an english muffin).  I'm interested what one would use instead of the microwave for these things - I'll be renovating a new apartment and I'm on the fence as to whether I need a microwave or not (it currently doesn't have one)... btw, I make popcorn (probably most people's #1 microwave use) on the stove top....

Frozen English muffins or sandwich rolls go in the CSO on steam-bake @ 300°F for 3 min to thaw, then split and back in to toast.  I don't like the effect a microwave has on bread products so I've never use it for that. 

I generally freeze stock in zip locks so I thaw by immersing in warm water.  I might use the immersion circulator or warm/hot tap water.  If it's just an ice cube of stock, I'll put it in the CSO in a little pyrex cup, which is the same thing I use to melt small amounts of butter. 

Another nice CSO use is for gently warming cheese using the warming setting @ 125°F for a few minutes.