• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I successfully freeze hummus?

Maison Rustique

Yes, absolutely you can freeze hummus and pretty much any other bean dip.

I used to store in small Rubbermaid cups and they helped keep my veggies cool as they thawed out.  

Also handy to have a larger size on hand in the freezer for a last minute veggie platter.

• Like 2

Personally, I find that the oil separates out when defrosting which can be stirred back in but it hurts the texture. I’ve done it successfully by adding a gelling agent a cold processing one is best unless you are going to cook the beans and can hydrate which ever stabiliser you use. 

The taste does change quickly though I found after about 2 months it would getting less appealing.

• Like 1

I've never seen the oil separation either but also use just a modest amount of tahini and no additional oil.

I have seen a bit of a change in texture on thawing but didn't find it problematic.  However, I don't usually try for the ultra smooth, peel-every-chickpea texture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

The many lunatics who believe in cyronics.

I had the same thought as Kerry.  Frozen long pig.

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Difference might be that I do not use much oil in my hummus.

Quite possibly, I use a lot of oil and make the texture very smooth I also use a good amount of water and tahini. I use a recipe that a restaurant owner gave me which is heavy on pretty much everything but tastes damned good but takes a long time to cook and blend and is made in a high speed blender. 

I have frozen it from my favorite guy. Separation can be an issue and smoothness can be compromised. It works best, in my experience, with less  flavored ones. Cilantro and jalaeno no - plain yes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've done it out of necessity when we had way way too much from an event. They were flavored and would not keep as long as plain in fridge (cilianto/jalapeno, roasted tomato - like that). Texture was affected and the water separates out upon thaw but a vigorous beat got   acceptable acceptable again. Not ideal by any eans but salvageable. 

• Like 2