• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I think this is so dependent on locale; here (NYC), we can go out for some pretty good Hong Kong style Chinese, bring our own wine, and spend about $25 per person. But there doesn't seem to be much middle ground any more; that is, a good, slightly more fancy meal, one in which the wine is not brought from home, has inched (or footed) up into the $100 per person range.  

But back to your original post; my favorite dining (out) style is one in which the chef/cooks know what the hell they're doing, use good ingredients, and don't muck up my food too much.  With halfway decent service.

It's a rather broad category.

And back to the "I can do it better at home" trope.  Well sure, but then I'd have to shop, cook, clean, etc. etc. 

weinoo

weinoo

I think this is so dependent on locale; here (NYC), we can go out for some pretty good Hong Kong style Chinese, bring our own wine, and spend about $25 per person. But there doesn't seem to be much middle ground any more; that is, a good, slightly more fancy meal, one in which the wine is not brought from home, has inched (or footed) up into the $100 per person range.  

But back to your original post; my favorite dining style is one in which the chef/cooks know what the hell they're doing, use good ingredients, and don't muck up my food too much.  With halfway decent service.