• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato water gone bitter!

Jayycl

Greetings everyone. Recently i made some fermented tomato water. My method is as followed:

1. Cut ripe tomatoes into quarters

2. By weight, 2% salt. And into vacuum bag

3. 100% compression on the vacuum

4. Let it sit out in room temp (about 22c) for 6 days

The compressed bag puffed up to a balloon, that was when i decided it is enough fermentation. So i buzzed it in a robot coupe, with seeds and all. I froze it and thawed it through a coffee filter overnight to have clear water.

It came out great. However, i noticed some bitterness in it. Due to the fermentation taste being too strong, i made some fresh tomato water (same process, minus the fermentation step). Seasoned the fresh tomato water with the fermented water, it got really really bitter. So i thought something went wrong with the fermented water because i tasted the fresh tomato water by itself and it was tasty. However, i then seasoned the fresh tomato water with a tiny bit of salt and the bitterness is so strong i had to throw it out. 

Any idea why it turned so bitter? My guess is that because i blended the seeds, and the salt brought out the bitterness that is hidden underneath. 

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

I too suspect seeds

Just tried it again. Without seeds this time. Same procedure. When tasted without any seasoning, it was delicious. But as soon as i season with a bit of salt, it has a bitter finish. Although, not as strong as when the seeds were included. But it is still very noticeable. 

1 hour ago, Jayycl said:

Just tried it again. Without seeds this time. Same procedure. When tasted without any seasoning, it was delicious. But as soon as i season with a bit of salt, it has a bitter finish. Although, not as strong as when the seeds were included. But it is still very noticeable. 

is your salt bitter?

18 hours ago, Jayycl said:

Haha good one mate. It is as salty as it gets. Sea salt. Not one bit bitter. 

Actually, that's a possibility.

Sea salt, by its nature, has random and variable impurities in it. It might be worth having another go, using a generic pure salt (ie pickling or kosher salt, not iodized table salt), just to see.

Edited to add, for clarity, that an impurity in the salt might be reacting with something in the tomatoes to create the bitterness.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Actually, that's a possibility.

Sea salt, by its nature, has random and variable impurities in it. It might be worth having another go, using a generic pure salt (ie pickling or kosher salt, not iodized table salt), just to see.

Edited to add, for clarity, that an impurity in the salt might be reacting with something in the tomatoes to create the bitterness.

I tested it again and tasted it side by side:

1. The same sea salt (very noticeable bitter)

2. Himalayan pink salt (very noticeable bitter)

3. Maldon sea salt flakes (not too noticeable bitter)

I do not have any kosher salt on hand. But i think you might be right. It can be the impurities of sea salt reacting with the tomato water. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jayycl said:

I tested it again and tasted it side by side:

1. The same sea salt (very noticeable bitter)

2. Himalayan pink salt (very noticeable bitter)

3. Maldon sea salt flakes (not too noticeable bitter)

I do not have any kosher salt on hand. But i think you might be right. It can be the impurities of sea salt reacting with the tomato water. 

Perhaps a compound forming between the calcium component of the impure salts and a chemical in the tomato water. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps a compound forming between the calcium component of the impure salts and a chemical in the tomato water. 

Yes, I reckon that is the most probable cause. Will try to get my hands on some kosher salt or pure salt to see if it works! Thanks everyone for your precious inputs!! Much appreciated.