• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You have to break eggs to make an omelet

Margaret Pilgrim

So how do you crack your eggs?     it seems everyone is now touting cracking eggs on a flat surface rather than edge of pan or other sharp edge.    I'm a pan-edge cracker, but willing to learn.    So I've started cracking eggs on the flat stovetop.    They never open with one whack, and many/most times the yolk is broken.     So I'm not convinced and am going back to my old wrong ways.

And do you think that kind of egg makes any difference on shell toughness?    Supermarket, organic, cage free, free range, pasture, farm?   

eGullet member #80.

I am an edge cracker.  I tried cracking them on a flat surface but it takes me more than one whack and I end up with a mess.  I never have a problem cracking them on the edge.  Very occasionally I may have a bit of shell in the egg but I just fish it out.

• Like 2

I learned about flat-surface cracking from a friend who'd been trained as a chef, way back in the '80's, and have never looked back. The reason Dean gave me was that an edge could drive the shell into the egg, with possible contamination as a result. 

At one time I was proficient enough that I could hold an egg in each hand, crack each on the counter, and open each with the hand that was holding it...simultaneously. I don't remember the last time I felt the need to hurry (or was it showing off, even to myself?) that much, though. Maybe I'll try it and see how much of a mess I make, now that I'm out of practice 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

And do you think that kind of egg makes any difference on shell toughness?    Supermarket, organic, cage free, free range, pasture, farm?   

It makes sense to me that the chickens' diet, general health and possibly breed would affect the shell strength, but I haven't kept records to test the idea. I'd like to know what others have observed. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Conventionally raised layer hens are typically fed a diet that contains supplemental calcium, which yields a more shelly shell. Hens raised on pasture often do not get as much calcium in their diet, and their shells can be flimsier with less crackability -- at least in my experience. But I don't buy eggs for the shell.

Whenever I can, I buy eggs from this place.  The chickens roam freely and peck away at whatever.  I have not noticed any difference in the shell between those and what I buy at the grocery store but I can't say I've paid attention.  I'll be getting some in the next couple of weeks so I'll check it out.

20181007_125347.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I learned about flat-surface cracking from a friend who'd been trained as a chef, way back in the '80's, and have never looked back. The reason Dean gave me was that an edge could drive the shell into the egg, with possible contamination as a result. 

🙂

I'm surprised that Alton B. hasn't done a show on the correct way to crack open an egg shell 😎 . Unless he has.

In any event, edge cracker here, either on the pan or on the bowl. And rarely does any shell end up in the opened egg. If it did, it's probably not the end of the world, as I think it can be easily removed, usually using a larger piece of shell.

I have found some egg shells from farmer's market eggs to be a little thicker (?) than the cheapo supermarket eggs I sometimes buy in an emergency. 

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

57 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I guess I’m kind of a half and half cracker.  I crack them on the curve of my stainless sink.  It almost never takes more than one whack and never gets shell inside the egg.

I was hoping someone would admit to this!  I either use the curve of the sink or crack on a bowl rim.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm a "closest available surface at the time" cracker, but usually flat. Not doctrinaire about it.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I use my forehead -- the brow ridge, if possible.

🤪

But seriously, folks, more often than not I use a careful whack with the back side of the knife from our everyday silverware set. The eggs from our preferred purveyor -- certified organic and genuinely free-range -- tend to be thicker than any others we've used.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

I'm a "closest available surface at the time" cracker, but usually flat. Not doctrinaire about it.

A flat surface seems to be the most reliable and consistent way to make a sharp, effective crack in the center of the egg--helpful if you are separating the white from the yolk. But it seems to me that using the same surface every time you break an egg means that you know exactly how much force to use. And my counter is always available.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 5:28 AM, Kim Shook said:

I guess I’m kind of a half and half cracker.  I crack them on the curve of my stainless sink.  It almost never takes more than one whack and never gets shell inside the egg.

I do that too.

• Like 1

I’m pro using whatever method gets you to your end result that wont hurt other people. So I am opposed to using other people to cracking open eggs for cooking reasons. 

I use the edge of the sink, or chopping board or counter or bowl or pot or even the back of a knife. As long as I don’t beat the hell out of the egg the yolks don’t normally break. 

I don’t believe there is a “correct” way to open an egg at least none that has been proven in any scientific way.