• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How are botanical flavours incorporated into vermouth?

perfection

I have searched the web for info on this particular niche areas related to the production of vermouth before posting here, but none seem to get into the details.

Which of the following are resorted to by vermouth production houses to incorporate the botanical flavours and aromas into the base (usually white undistinguished) wine

1.  Steeping the botanicals in the base wine

2. Steeping the botanicals in the fortified base wine

3. Steeping in a hydroalcoholic  solution which is then added to the wine (Martini does this) but I was wondering whether this is done to make a concentrate (tincture) to add to the fortified base wine or is it added such that the base unfortified wine gets fortified and flavoured

4. Steeping followed by distillation of say neutral alcohol to extract the flavours   But would this be done to make a concentrate (tincture) to add to the fortified base wine or is it added such that the base unfortified wine gets fortified and flavoured

5. is vapor infusion (like Bombay Sapphire) used similarly to 4 above?

6.  Combining various methods depending on the nature of botanical and the sensitivity of the flavours and aromas o be extracted

Please share any factual knowledge with me on the above

Thank you e-gullet members for any help

16 hours ago, perfection said:

I have searched the web for info on this particular niche areas related to the production of vermouth before posting here, but none seem to get into the details.

Which of the following are resorted to by vermouth production houses to incorporate the botanical flavours and aromas into the base (usually white undistinguished) wine

1.  Steeping the botanicals in the base wine

2. Steeping the botanicals in the fortified base wine

3. Steeping in a hydroalcoholic  solution which is then added to the wine (Martini does this) but I was wondering whether this is done to make a concentrate (tincture) to add to the fortified base wine or is it added such that the base unfortified wine gets fortified and flavoured

4. Steeping followed by distillation of say neutral alcohol to extract the flavours   But would this be done to make a concentrate (tincture) to add to the fortified base wine or is it added such that the base unfortified wine gets fortified and flavoured

5. is vapor infusion (like Bombay Sapphire) used similarly to 4 above?

6.  Combining various methods depending on the nature of botanical and the sensitivity of the flavours and aromas o be extracted

Please share any factual knowledge with me on the above

Thank you e-gullet members for any help

Have you had a look here? Not commercial production houses but most of us were working from recipes from various places. 

• 2 weeks later...