• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travel kitchen utensils

DanM

Here is what I have so far. 

A pairing knife and a tomato knife

Veg peeler

Victorinox cheese knife

Polaine bread and tartine knife (optional, but fun to have around)

Can/bottle opener

Mini cutting board (fits perfectly in my cooler for picnics)

Pizza cost

Not shown, the wooden spoon and slotted spoon that my 2 year old declared were hers.

I am considering an oven mitt. I've been in a few places where I had to find a dry bath towel to take food out of the oven.

I also need a solution for small amounts of spices. Salt I'll just keep in a zip top bag. 

Dan

IMG_20190925_180541.jpg

• Like 3

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Here's what I have in a backpack for "on the road" serving/cooking.  Not camping.  In case of bringing stuff back to room or whatever accommodations.   The backpack I use is just a standard school size backpack that was laying around.   I just toss it in the vehicle when a trip comes up.  We do roadtrips quite a bit and sometimes aren't near restaurants that interest us.   Especially if the only choice is Applebees/Chilis/Olive Garden etc.   Or it we've found something good on the road and want to eat it later, like finding a great BBQ place but at the wrong time.

Silipint bowls and cups, easy to clean, can be  used as cooking vessels.

A pair of metal tongs. (these are invaluable)

A couple serrated steak knifes, for eating and prepping.

A couple sets of real flatware, not plastic

Plastic serving spoons/ forks/tongs poached from catering events, usually disposed of, but sturdy for light reuse.

A flexible cutting board.

A spatula and pie cutter (for side of the road pie places)

A wooden spoon

Victorinox peeler (for using roadside produce)

A couple empty plastic takeout style boxes in case of needing to store something.

A small box of zip-loc style bags.

A couple kitchen trash bags.

A couple wooden steak plates for dinnerware (I picked up a set at Goodwill for couple bucks, they are super useful)

A couple of smaller empty reusable water bottles.

a few more things I just can't remember right now.

Individual salt and pepper packets.

Small bottle of hot sauce.

Napkins + papertowels + wet wipes

We also bring our own tiny vacuum coffeemaker and coffee, which is VERY Important, VERY.   It's got its own special bag.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 5

On 9/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, DanM said:

I also need a solution for small amounts of spices. Salt I'll just keep in a zip top bag. 

Somewhere I saw someone use a plastic pill container for this. The kind that have a compartment or two for each day of the week. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NadyaDuke said:

Somewhere I saw someone use a plastic pill container for this. The kind that have a compartment or two for each day of the week. 

This  was my answer some years back. Don’t travel now so don’t need such things.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

We regularly spend a couple weeks in AirBnBs overseas & we usually take the following in our knife roll / luggage- we could pare it down some but we have never had a space /weight issue thus far. the only hassle is, of course, that much of this this stuff can't be carried on & will result in having to check at least one bag when flying.

2 Chef's knives, my favorite one a 9" Gyoto + a 9" Deba that my wife's quite fond of.

2 Pettys (paring/boning knives) one large, one small.

1 microplane; useful for so many things.

a Therma pen

Corkscrew

a small silicone spatula

a bamboo spatula

some favorite teas

a nutmeg grater, couple of nutmegs.

sometimes a 1000/5000 combo waterstone but generally as long as I sharpen just prior & the trip is ~2 weeks not really needed.

A couple of those thin poly cutting boards (think about like a really thick piece of paper, cheap from Ikea) these usually get left behind in the AirBnB, my biggest beef with rental apartments knives aside is the general lack of cutting boards.

A chef's coat which goes a long way towards keeping cooking splatters / smells off of one's clothing especially important when one's ability to launder clothes light be limited.

Spices, general pantry items that might be needed we just buy locally. Sometimes we've ended up buying silverware, a ladle etc. (srsly a 4 person flat w/ only 2 sets of silverware is a drag). 

If our arrival time is late in the day or on a Sunday perhaps some Coffee as well for that first morning since in many parts of Europe stores are still generally closed on Sundays..

• Like 1

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

On 9/3/2019 at 7:25 AM, Kerry Beal said:

LOL - I am sometimes forced to do that! 

My little travel kit caused me to pull out my little first aid kit the last time we were in Vegas and my serrated knife caused the de-tipping of a finger as I recall. Now my first aid kit is another topic of discussion - I can't administer shocks - but just about anything short of that!

Does your kit make it through as a carry-on?

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Most of it is in my purse!

I need your secret.    French TSA have confiscated a couple of my favorite tiny scissors.    According to law, they should have been allowable, under 4 inches; mine were under an inch.   But French TSA are FAST!     Find scissors of any length, glance at them and chuck them into an enormous bin of confiscate.   

Get on plane, have a glass of wine, come home.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I need your secret.    French TSA have confiscated a couple of my favorite tiny scissors.    According to law, they should have been allowable, under 4 inches; mine were under an inch.   But French TSA are FAST!     Find scissors of any length, glance at them and chuck them into an enormous bin of confiscate.   

Get on plane, have a glass of wine, come home.

I've lost a pen knife a couple of times - but never the scalpel blades or tiny scissors.