• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fulton, Jean-Georges at Pier 17 at The Seaport

weinoo

Let's start with the 30 minute walk from my apartment - along South Street - and which I won't do again, as South Street is basically one long construction zone, leaving you walking with bikes, scooters, etc. on a path that's wide enough for none of the above.  One used to be able to walk along the river, but not really any more. But I did arrive safely at the seaport, where The Fulton is located. It's all the way out at the end of the pier, and a really nice job has been done on the pier, with plenty of seating, both for patrons and just people wanting to sit and look at the water, bridges, and all sorts of activity above and upon the river.

The Fulton is gorgeous, and I was able to grab a seat at the downstairs bar; had I realized there was also the raw bar a level up, I might've chosen that, but I was content with views from where I was situated, and everything from the raw bar is available downstairs, so no problems there.

A short wines by the glass list, and I started with a nice Savennières, while studying the menus. There was a lot to choose from, and it was only me, so there were some hard choices to be made. I really like Manhattan clam chowder, and I can't remember when I've had a Manhattan clam chowder that I really liked...(so avoid the version at the Oyster Bar, which was insipid on my last visit there). This one however, was as good as I've ever had; nice and spicy, rich and clammy, as it should be. I don't know if the glass of Riesling I had to accompany it made it better, but it worked for me.  Served with some lovely bread and butter, 2 slices dark and sweet, 2 slices the opposite, and I didn't even have to ask or pay extra for it!

I was battling around stuff in my head to have for a main course, but I kept returning to one item in particular, I suppose as an homage to Sneakeater, Fish (flounder!) and Crisps:

ozgOEHL.jpg?1

The flounder, a large, beautiful piece, fried beautifully, sitting atop the "crisps," which were actually twice fried potato puffs. Alongside, superfluous and almost too sweet crushed peas, and saffron aioli. Just great.

Dessert, as if I needed it, was a couple of scoops of very nice house-made ice cream - pistachio and vanilla are the flavors I think I had.

The prices, at least for now, are kinda weirdly low, at least for some of the dishes. And at least for now, I can't wait to return, because so much of the menu was calling my name. Next time though, I'll be walking on Water Street.

COMP DISCLOSURE: A glass of wine along the way. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

A friend from the Loire once told me that Savennieres is not for drinking, but for pouring on oysters! All that malic acid....

Understandable. But even though good oysters are now available all year long, I still tend to avoid them in the summer months (or months without an "R") cause I'm old school!  

If I'm somewhere I know the water is cold and good, I'll eat them any time.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?