• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Proteins won’t you eat?

MetsFan5

I will not eat veal. My father, who has heart issues and is allergic to poultry eats a lot of veal. 

I don’t eat lamb. Ironically if I had to pick a meat to live off it would be pork. I would never entertain the concept of eating horse. 

I’d rather starve to death than eat dog. 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)
  • Like 1

Of the foods I'd ordinarily encounter, I can't think of any I flat-out *wouldn't* eat. I'd have a qualm over octopus, now that I know how intelligent they are, though if it was served to me I would still eat it so as not to discomfit my host.

Being soy-based I guess natto is technically a protein, though it's used more as a condiment. I have not encountered it in real life, but can't imagine that I would enjoy choking down something that basically is salty, lumpy phlegm.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Never say never. I haven’t tried every type of protein on earth, and was taught to try something before dismissing it. Most things can probably be choked down with the right preparation ... though hakarl would be a challenge. 

There are things I don’t prefer and won’t cook for myself but will eat to be polite, such as beef, lamb, and crab. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

55 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Of the foods I'd ordinarily encounter, I can't think of any I flat-out *wouldn't* eat. I'd have a qualm over octopus, now that I know how intelligent they are, though if it was served to me I would still eat it so as not to discomfit my host.

Being soy-based I guess natto is technically a protein, though it's used more as a condiment. I have not encountered it in real life, but can't imagine that I would enjoy choking down something that basically is salty, lumpy phlegm.

I was served natto once. I wanted to try it and like but, your description is pretty accurate. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Never say never. I haven’t tried every type of protein on earth, and was taught to try something before dismissing it. Most things can probably be choked down with the right preparation ... though hakarl would be a challenge. 

There are things I don’t prefer and won’t cook for myself but will eat to be polite, such as beef, lamb, and crab. 

As an owner of a golden retriever I am confident I wouldn’t never ever eat dog meat. Ever. 

• Like 3

Don't eat shellfish of any kind.  And I also don't eat steak or much red meat for that matter.  My vegetarian Mother gave me a steak for supper almost every night of my life, broiled to shoe leather.  That did it for me.  The paediatrician refused to take care of me unless she fed me meat.  Oh yes, did I eat meat.

Until the day I got married...

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I should perhaps be more specific. I will eat foie gras, and I will eat chicken livers in some preparations. I loathe beef liver.

I must also confess I don't care for lamb. Will eat it in some Middle Eastern highly spiced preps, but otherwise, it has a taste I just don't care for. Don't care for squid or octopus or abalone; all other seafood are fine. Have eaten snake and turtle and alligator; not crazy about them, but can eat them. Have eaten a good deal of wild game; fine with most of that, although I don't like raccoon and draw the line at possum.

Emotional aversion would keep me from eating dog, cat or horse meat, I suspect.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I am hypocritical about protein.    The only current hesitation I have is toward octopus because of its intelligence.   But pigs are also intelligent and I eat pork.    However, if it is in a butcher case, there is no protein I won't eat for emotional reasons.   Yet if I were to have to go to the farm and select an animal to be killed for my dinner, I would immediately become a vegetarian.    So logic and absolute conviction obviously do not come into play.    I am morally bankrupt.

re flavor and texture, I resort to my old maxim, "there are no bad foods, only bad cooks".

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

I am finding I am getting more skeeved out by textures. I may come to a point that I go 100% vegetarian because if I have a bite of a protein that is the wrong texture to me, I start to feel a gag reflex and it puts me off the rest of it. At this point I don't eat beef, pork, or lamb. I eat poultry, fish, and shellfish (average 2x a week). Crispy bug, like chapulines, I would try, since I already eat soft shelled crab. If I had to survive in the wilderness I would guess instinct would over-ride aversion. I hope not to test that.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

If you do happen to see natto, or even realize that maybe it's somewhere on the premises, run away! This is from, as BezosWorld would say, a Verified Purchaser.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Survival aside, if given a choice and winning a sizable bet weren't part of the picture, I'd politely decline brains, bear, muskrat and its ilk, and most insects and bugs unless they were dried and ground and mixed with other stuff (or covered in chocolate). Cat and dog, I'm not sure. Liver in general, unless I knew how the animal was maintained and fed (which pretty much limits me to one nearby chicken farmer).

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The only meats I eat are chicken, turkey, and bacon.  I was a vegetarian for many years and have not been able to overcome my aversion to anything else. The only seafood I do not eat is octopus, because they are so smart and I enjoy snorkeling with them.  I also do not eat tofu anymore on the advice of my oncologist, which is too bad because I really like it.  It was one of only three foods she recommended I stop eating so I live with it.

Not a fan of bugs.  I've tried the Lao presentation of both crickets and silk worm larvae, and neither did anything for me.  Crickets are too chitinous... like eating shrimp with the shells on, or chewing your fingernails.  The silk worms were just unexciting flavorwise in the omelet-ish presentation.  

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch