• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

caroled

caroled

22 minutes ago, Kerala said:

I gave up beef 11 years ago for religious reasons. I miss it occasionally, and this choice makes Argentina less attractive as a holiday destination.

I wouldn't like to eat monkeys.

I've tried tripe in Florence and andouilette in Paris. The first I couldn't swallow a second fork full. The second I couldn't quite make myself pull off the fork and into my mouth before spitting it out. Looks like a turd, smells like a turd, now I know what a turd tastes like. Are chitlins this bad?

I wish I could answer your question...I grew up in the Southern rural US and had a few occasions to enter places where chitlins were being boiled. My mom couldn't abide the smell of them so they weren't ever cooked at our house, nor did she ever encourage me to eat them.  I have no problem eating an intestine for what it is,  bit I can't get past the smell enough to want to try them. 

After having eaten squirrel brains as a child, and enjoying them at the time,  I have no desire to eat them as an adult.  

Edited to add; now after looking andouilette up,  and seeing what they are and how they are made, I feel assured I can add them to my list of things to not eat. Apparently the further down the intestinal tract you go, and the larger it is,  the more likely the colon has been used culminating in a stronger odor and flavor.

caroled

caroled

6 minutes ago, Kerala said:

I gave up beef 11 years ago for religious reasons. I miss it occasionally, and this choice makes Argentina less attractive as a holiday destination.

I wouldn't like to eat monkeys.

I've tried tripe in Florence and andouilette in Paris. The first I couldn't swallow a second fork full. The second I couldn't quite make myself pull off the fork and into my mouth before spitting it out. Looks like a turd, smells like a turd, now I know what a turd tastes like. Are chitlins this bad?

I wish I could answer your question...I grew up in the Southern rural US and had a few occasions to enter places where chitlins were being boiled. My mom couldn't abide the smell of them so they weren't ever cooked at our house, nor did she ever encourage me to eat them.  I have no problem eating an intestine for what it is,  bit I can't get past the smell enough to want to try them. 

After having eaten squirrel brains as a child, and enjoying them at the time,  I have no desire to eat them as an adult.