• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Proteins won’t you eat?

MetsFan5

54 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It's a relative of koji, one of the more appetizing things in that rogues galley of an ingredients list.

• Haha 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

On 9/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My mother used to cook brains every once in a while.    I never liked the consistency, which as a child I compared to scrambled eggs.     I have not encountered brains as an adult, but adore sweetbreads.    Perhaps support for my premise that there are no bad foods, only bad cooks.

Brains and eggs. One used to be able to get pork brains in a small pop-top can (like Vienna sausages). One would scramble them with eggs. It was alleged to be a delicacy in the rural South of the '50s andd '60s. 

I was underwhelmed. Not particularly grossed out, but underwhelmed.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Our daughter and her husband have a tradition of finding weird stuff to exchange via their Christmas stockings.  I found a can of pop top pork brains at the local Amish scratch and dent store and passed them on to her.  Guess won the prize for the weirdest item that year?  Yup. she did!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was vegetarian until I was about 12, not by ethical choice, I just didn’t like any of it.  My pediatrician told my mother I was too lazy to chew.  When I started to eat meat, it had to be well done.  Today I’ll eat beef/chicken/pork not well done but any fat really bothers me.  I’m one of those boneless skinless chicken breast lovers.  I did try sweetbreads once, it was at Veritas in NYC.  I ate it all but had no hankering to eat it again.  Pretty boring meat-wise but I’ll eat any vegetable.

• Like 2