• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Peperonata con Bruschetta

Fat Guy

Mamster cooks.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Here's a radical idea: if you hate to cook, don't.

and

I may not be a trained chef, but I have a razor-sharp knife and a short attention span. Anything could happen.

Then he rips off a recipe from Biba.

What a mamster. :laugh: This is a good idea and looks to be a good series.

Very nice photo, by the way.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

"it's just not cooking without onions"

:biggrin:

It's so true!!! I once read a hint which I have used all too many times, that if you've been out shopping or doing something else that you feel guilty about and that has made you late getting dinner ready for the family, just toss some onions in a pan to saute - just the smell when the family comes home from work or school and all is forgiven! They'll wait patiently until dinner is done knowing it has to be good after that welcoming smell!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Jinmyo, if you think you've caught me in a contradiction now, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until I write a column ranting against poorly conceived fusion food and then publish a recipe for "Thai flapjacks."

Anna N, that sounds like the advice about having bread in the oven when you're trying to sell your house. With the advent of frozen La Brea bread, I guess more houses are selling than ever before.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Not to be too much of a classic recipe thief, but if any of you have suggestions for future columns (once we figure out what this column is going to be about, of course), please do let me know. I have a feeling the next one will have something to do with the six mystery basket dishes I cooked on Saturday.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

mamster, I didn't so much see it as a contradiction as just mamsterishness.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Excellent job, Mam (if I may call you that). Well-written, lively and informative.

AND, I plan to put away my copy of "30-Minute Meals" and prepare your bruschetta this very evening.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Does anyone of us old farts have a copy of Peg Bracken's I Hate to Cook Book? I'll bet there's nothing as simple, or as appetizing, as what Mamster presented. :biggrin:

Note to Fat Guy: I'm getting a little tired of having to tell every other 'zine author how terrific their pieces are. When are you going to publish a clunker? :wink: (Oops, better not say that -- I owe you another review :shock: )

Does anyone of us old farts have a copy of Peg Bracken's I Hate to Cook Book?

Me :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just to add a practical side note:

Cooking red peppers with sherry rather than wine (or sherry vinegar rather than wine vinegar) results in much more depth of flavor. I found that out entirely by accident (I was making roasted red pepper soup and had no white wine) but I've taken advantage of it ever since.

Thanks, JAZ. I'll definitely try that next time. Will they kick me out of the gourmet society if I admit that I don't have sherry vinegar in the house? I'd like to, but haven't gotten around to researching which one to get and how much to spend.

Maybe I should start a thread.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I have La Posada, Vinagre de Jerez...

I think it's wonderful.

Not too expensive.

Actually, our own Foodie52 would probably have some interesting information. I believe she recently taught a class at Central Market on the different kinds of vinegars available and what they're used for....

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Will they kick me out of the gourmet society if I admit that I don't have sherry vinegar in the house?

Until you buy one, you can always cheat and combine a splash of sherry with some red wine vinegar (I've done that more than once -- works okay in cooked dishes, not so great in salad dressings).

Very enjoyable article, by the way

Matthew,

Nice story...

Trader Joe's usually has relatively inexpensive sherry vinegar.

I make peperonata even simpler...just sweat the onions and peppers in olive oil, finish with some of the good oil. In Tuscany they like to add potatoes, so I'll cube some Yukon golds and add them sometimes. Last week I was in celery root mode so made it with both potato and cubes of celery root. Very good, but not sure if it still qualifies as peperonata.

Jim (the spoiler)

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Pommery used to make a fantastic Sherry vinegar but doesn't seem to any longer. Very sad.

Suzanne, you should see some of the stuff we don't publish.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)