• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Products on the Grocery Aisle

Toliver

I was shopping recently in my local grocery store and saw a new rice product. The brand name is VeeTee and they make Microwaveable Rice. I am not a shill for them and have nothing to gain for pointing this product out.

Click here and on their web site click on "Shop" and scroll down to see the different kinds of rice they offer.

I have tried other shelf-stable "ready to eat...just microwave it" rice products and, to me, they had an odd "off" flavor (Uncle Ben's, I'm looking at you >:( xD ).

I bought a couple of the VeeTee rice products and was surprised at how good they were. The "plain" long grain rice tasted like I had just cooked it on my stovetop. There was no "off" flavor.  There aren't really directions on how to cook it except for a small circle on the face of the product that says to microwave it for 2 minutes. It also says on the packaging that it could either be a serving a a Main for one person, or as a side for two people. I thought there was a lot of rice in the package and would probably split it between two meals in the future.

It's a little disconcerting for me to see these packages of already-cooked rice sitting on a store shelf without refrigeration. But this is a new era of food packaging, I guess.

I am curious if anyone else has tried the VeeTee rice and what you thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I haven't seen this but then I haven't gone looking for microwaveable rice either since i gave given up on Uncle Ben's mush.  If i saw it i would likely try it.  Of the stores they list none are in Canada, at least not where i live.  I checked on Amazon and the cheapest price was $13.08 and the price went north from there.  So I guess I won't be trying it any time soon.

Edited to add:  I can order from their web site.  For $41.22 worth of product, they charge $72.19 shipping.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I haven't seen this but then I haven't gone looking for microwaveable rice either since i gave given up on Uncle Ben's mush.  If i saw it i would likely try it.  Of the stores they list none are in Canada, at least not where i live.  I checked on Amazon and the cheapest price was $13.08 and the price went north from there.  So I guess I won't be trying it any time soon.

Edited to add:  I can order from their web site.  For $41.22 worth of product, they charge $72.19 shipping.

That's crazy. But I've seen the same markup on other Amazon products.

And VeeTee's shipping has to be a joke...the packages have hardly any weight to them. Perhaps all that money is for the "handling" part of Shipping and Handling.¬¬

I looked at Walmart's web site and they do have the rice but it's currently out of stock. Sorry!

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Their website does not indicate that they are stocked at Shoprite (NJ) but I feel like I have seen this. It must have been a different brand with similar packaging. I agree that the micro rice usually has a weird flavor, so if this becomes available, I will give it a shot. DH is lacking in kitchen skills and this would be useful.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Nothing new about microwave rice. Knorr have been doing it for decades. And they cut 30 seconds off your cooking time according to their ads.

Yes, Uncle Ben's shelf-stable pre-cooked rice only takes 90 seconds in the microwave oven, as well. But it tastes terrible. I'll have to look for Knorr's version in my grocery stores. 

I'll don't mind that extra 30 seconds of waiting for the VeeTee rice to be heated. The end product is better, IMHO.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver