• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIY Airline cocktails

Bad Medicine

Hello 

I am trying to make airline travel more bearable by jazzing up the beverage choices.

I purchased a credit card holder which can comfortably hold 10  2ml glass vials.

My intention is to fill the vials with bitters, sugar syrup etc to make a cocktail out of the available spirits on offer.

My question is what cocktails could I make when the only options of spirits are likely to be Gin, Bourbon and Scotch.

I have currently filled the vials with 

Peychards

Agostura

orange bitters

Absinthe

sugar syrup 

salt syrup

Fee bros bitters

These will make me a Old Fashioned, Pink Gin and a Bourbon Sazerac, 

I am a novice at cocktail making and very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thankyou

2600D807-5D15-452A-B90D-26F66A26955F.jpeg

• Like 1

I wanna see the video footage of you getting that little container of various liquid filled vials through security. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I wanna see the video footage of you getting that little container of various liquid filled vials through security. :D

No problem

They are under 100ml

I have taken them through security, no questions asked 😊

I don't think that 2cc aliquots of simple syrup are enough for a cocktail.

But TSA will let all the airline bottles of booze through that will fit in a 1 qt bag. About 8 IIRC.

So why not scale-up using 50 cc bottles?

Or just carry confectioner's sugar which will dissolve easily and won't bother the feds.

Edited by gfweb (log)

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I don't think that 2cc aliquots of simple syrup are enough for a cocktail.

But TSA will let all the airline bottles of booze through that will fit in a 1 qt bag. About 8 IIRC.

So why not scale-up using 50 cc bottles?

Or just carry confectioner's sugar which will dissolve easily and won't bother the feds.

White powder is OK?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

White powder is OK?

Yup. I carried 2 kg of curing salt (which - in Germany - is not dies pink) in my carry-on once. Lots of questions asked,  yet still allowed to fly ...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, Tri2Cook said:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

I’ve traveled with a quart bag filled with 3oz sample sized bottles filled with my favorite spirits many times without an issue.  Didn’t even have to take them out of my carry on.  Although I usually do just to show compliance 

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

I’ve traveled with a quart bag filled with 3oz sample sized bottles filled with my favorite spirits many times without an issue.  Didn’t even have to take them out of my carry on.  Although I usually do just to show compliance 

To show compliance, you need to take them out and drink them in front of the security officer ...

• Haha 3