• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A quiet compressor

spennie

The ability of using a certain type of gun/airbrush does not depend only on the HP of the compressor, it depends mainly on the pressure in the whole air system (tank and pipes) and the volume of the whole air system. The needed pressure for using a gun/airbrush is reachable by almost all air compressors. The problem is for how much time you can have that pressure in your air system while spraying. This time depends both on the HP of the compressor and the volume of the air system. Here on eGullet you mainly talk about the HP of the compressor, since small compressors can't keep up with a continuous use of a big gun. But you can solve this problem coupling a side tank to the compressor, such to raise significantly the total volume of your air system. There is a big difference between having a compressed air reserve of 20 liters and one of 100 liters. If you have a first system with 20 liters, a second system with 100 liters, then turn off both compressors, you will be able to use the gun for 5x time with the 100 liters if compared to the 20 liters. The problem with small compressors and small tanks is that you reach low pressure pretty soon and the compressor can't keep up. If you couple a big tank to a small compressor then you raise significantly the time of use. When spraying molds you are not using the compressed air for 30 minutes in a row (like what can happen in an industrial setting), you are using it for few minutes, then stop for some minutes, then resume, then stop. With this work flow a small compressor has the time to raise the tank pressure during your pauses.

So you just need to buy a big tank to couple with your small air compressor. Air tanks are not expensive, they are much cheaper than upgrading the compressor. Only problem is that it will take more time for the compressor to reach maximum pressure in the air system. You just need to turn it on when you reach your work place (before changing clothes and starting your work day).

Teo

Edited by teonzo (log)
  • Like 1

Teo

very often, you can get free 20-lb BBQ propane tanks for free on Freecycle or Craigtslist. They can take at least 350 PSI.

But if you want 100% silent operation, CO2 air tanks for paintball guns can give you 4,500 PSI at full charge. You will need a good pressure regulator of course.

dcarch

1 hour ago, spennie said:

Yes the Fuji seems a proven and tested system .However the noice level that you guys have mentioned, definately sounds to loud 

I do not find it that loud, compared to a compressor. Yes, the compressor shuts off for much of the time, but when it starts up, I am always a bit startled. The Fuji noise is often described as that of a vacuum cleaner, and I think that's an apt description, perhaps the noise of a Shop Vac. It is a steady noise that does not seem as loud as the compressor's. The Fuji setup instructions specify that it must be placed at a distance from the gun (so as to prevent the air intake from sucking in bits of paint/cocoa butter). I have mine in the same room where I do the spraying, but Kerry's idea of putting the motor in another room would certainly help with the noise. So what are the actual measured sound levels?  My 2HP compressor is rated at a sound level of 70 decibels, whereas the Fuji (I have the Q4 model) is 62 dBA (a similar measurement of sound weighted to come a bit closer to what the human ear actually hears--I'm not sure how much these measurements differ, but these two figures give an idea). Normal human conversation is about 60 decibels.

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

So you just need to buy a big tank to couple with your small air compressor. Air tanks are not expensive, they are much cheaper than upgrading the compressor.

Teo

It's the word "just" that raises cautionary flags for me. Any of us can go out and purchase an air tank (I suppose I could, once I found a source). But for those of us technically challenged and/or without serious tools, I think attaching this new tank to the old would seem a daunting task indeed. I suspect the average chocolatier would buy a new compressor before attempting this fix.

You can find those tanks ready-made for sale. At least it happens here, so I don't see why they should not be on sale in the USA too. You just need to plug-in the air compressor pipe/tube and plug-out the gun pipe/tube, something even a child can do.

Teo

Teo

• 2 months later...

@Jim D.  Well , I am sorry it has taken me so long to report back. I have to say that the SprayIt LVLP gun was pretty much a disaster. Chef Rubber sells a Grex that is described as LVLP. not HVLP - so thought i was being very clever by finding a surprisingly hard to find LVLP at a reasonable price. Loads of overspray. I cannot speak to the performance of their Grex but the Sprayit guzzled up my cocoa butter and left a hazy cloud of particulates hanging in the air. I think if you needed to spray large pieces/surface area (and you had good ventilation/spray booth) it could be worakable but for bonbon trays...not so much. I eventually got an Iwata cs (regular one,  not the Kustom), hooked it up to my California Air Tools compressor and am quite happy with the set up. I agree that having to hit it with a heat gun to keep everything moving is a hassle, but for the amount  i,m doing now it’s not too bad. My take away for any new folks starting out there would be to explore and have fun with the many stunning effects you can get using your fingers, brushes, sponges, daubers etc and save up until you can afford a decent air compressor. Its worth the extra for a “quiet” lower db model. I have a 6.6 1HP tank that is fine. As you have already mentioned a 2HP (or more) would be better, twin tanks also better - if you can afford to spend a bit more. Then buy a decent gravity feed airbrush. I am very happy with my Iwata CS - which cost about $120. On ebay. If you can spend a little more on a Grex etc do so. Don’t make the same mistakes that I did like: Master Airbrush kit with tiny 1/6 HP tabletop compressor. The airbrush is awful, and the compressor is puny. Boom $75 gone. I then worked my way through several cheaper siphon feed brushes, and the beautiful Paasche that i was never able to get to work for me..so all in all I would have fared a lot better if i’d just saved up and bought a good compressor ($250 to $600) with a mid range airbrush($100 to $200). If my business grows enough to warrant larger production I will splurge on the FujiSpray system (and a good pair of ear muffs). Thanks to all egullet members for your generosity in sharing experiences and information.

• Like 1