• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Ross

eG Cook-Off #83: A Bounty of Sweet Corn

I'd go ahead and cut it off, simply as a space consideration in the freezer. Don't think there's much diff in the taste.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Some advice, please!

I caved in to temptation and bought more corn. A dozen ears. We're having some tonight, on the cob. We're having a (more photogenic, I hope) revamp of the previous corn dish tomorrow night. I blanched these ears tonight, for preservation purposes. Top photo: the blanched cobs, chilling. Bottom photo: same cobs, draining.

20190820_205554.jpg

Here's my question: I want to freeze the kernels off these cobs for later use. Is it better to freeze the cobs, then scrape off the kernels? (Can that even be done by a mere human?) Or am I better off scraping the kernels off the cobs, spreading them on a baking sheet and freezing them?

(It really is lovely corn. I'm not even a big fan of corn on the cob -- I think I've said so before -- but this corn on the cob was good. It was sweet -- some of you true corn lovers might think it too much so -- and fairly tender. For tonight's dinner I boiled an ear for each of us, probably not long enough. We thought the flavor fine but the texture a tad tougher than it would have been if I'd microwaved them as we usually do.)

Back to the question: The blanched corn is now drained and sitting on a plate. Freeze it to de-kernel later, or refrigerate it to de-kernel tomorrow and freeze afterward?

A couple of years ago I stripped corn off the cob and froze it.  We found it tough, and this was very fresh corn.  But then, I did not blanch it first so maybe that was the problem?

I've had better luck with cutting the kernels off the cob, then vacuum sealing.  It wasn't a scientific experiment but when I did the same thing with corn on the cobs and froze those the kernels didn't seem as crisp.

4 minutes ago, David Ross said:

I've had better luck with cutting the kernels off the cob, then vacuum sealing.  It wasn't a scientific experiment but when I did the same thing with corn on the cobs and froze those the kernels didn't seem as crisp.

Did you blanch it first?

9 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Yes but really quick, probably only a minute or so.

Thsnk you.  I'll try some again then.  I'll blanch it and vacuum pack it which I didn't do last time.

• Like 1