• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Social Media Tips/Tricks

So I am definitely someone who had no use for social media until I started a business.  I feel like I am trying to drink water through a fire hose trying to learn how to use it.  A lot of people suggested trial and error which is working okay for me now, but just wondering if anyone had any tried and true techniques or resources they use for FB, IG, etc.  I know others say to check out others and emulate them, but then I get confused on how they did it in the first place.  Just curious how you all approach it.  

I think one of the biggest hangups I have is getting the perfect picture when I set up for an event.  To me, it does not look appetizing since the lighting looks so muted, and everything is in hotel pans, etc.  Others (non-chefs) tell me it looks good, but I disagree.  Do y'all just pull some aside, put in a nice dish with a black background and photo like that?  Again, so much inexperience and confusion haha.  Thanks in advance.

Handling social media is an art and science at the same time, it takes a lot of time to study and master it. I asked to a couple of friends for some explanations and I got flooded with infos: just studying which is the best timing (hour during the day) for posting was full of variables. If you want to do a good job you need to invest tons of hours studying it to know the "science", then be creative for the "art" (it takes a personal style to be followed).

Since social media can be of big impact on all businesses, I suggest to hire a professional to handle it. This expense usually pays for itself and more, unless you hire someone unable or too expensive.

Teo

Teo

I have nothing really to add except my experience as a user on social media - I'm *always* looking at the background, especially when I see other bakeshops featuring a picture.  You'll be surprised at what you learn about the operations in another place when they post a picture that isn't a tight shot of the product.... ;)

• Like 3