• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

I've done holiday gift baskets for my kids' inlaws, and other friends, for several years. Contents vary over the years, but have included:

1. Jams and jellies

2. Pub cheese

3. Chicken liver pate (note, for that and the pub cheese, you need to include directions to keep them refrigerated)

4. Pickles of all sorts, including pickled quail eggs and small knockwurst chunks

5. Chutneys, spreads and sauces. I did a big batch of Vivian Howard's Blue Q barbecue sauce and canned it one year.

6. Meringue cookies

7. Rice krispy treats

8. Pralines

9. Fudge

10. Chocolate bark

11. Quick breads

12. Flavored butters

13. Bagels

14. Homemade bread

15. Homemade crackers

16. Candied nuts

17. Eggnog (someone on here, maybe @BonVivant?) shared an eggnog recipe a couple of years ago. It's pretty wonderful, but damn, it's strong! I believe if I make it again, I'll cut back on the booze. One reason i like to make it is that it amuses me to watch the reaction of the liquor store when the old lady strolls up and wants Everclear.

I generally aim toward the out-of-the-ordinary. Pickled quail eggs are a big hit, as is bacon jam and homemade crackers. 

One year, I made Eudora Welty's white fruitcake. It was awful -- doughy and not tasty. So I froze it, sliced it thin, and made biscotti out of it. That was pretty good.

kayb

kayb

I've done holiday gift baskets for my kids' inlaws, and other friends, for several years. Contents vary over the years, but have included:

1. Jams and jellies

2. Pub cheese

3. Chicken liver pate (note, for that and the pub cheese, you need to include directions to keep them refrigerated)

4. Pickles of all sorts, including pickled quail eggs and small knockwurst chunks

5. Chutneys, jams and jellies (bacon jam is a particular favorite

6. Meringue cookies

7. Rice krispy treats

8. Pralines

9. Fudge

10. Chocolate bark

11. Quick breads

12. Flavored butters

13. Bagels

14. Homemade bread

15. Homemade crackers

16. Candied nuts

17. Eggnog (someone on here, maybe @BonVivant?) shared an eggnog recipe a couple of years ago. It's pretty wonderful, but damn, it's strong! I believe if I make it again, I'll cut back on the booze. One reason i like to make it is that it amuses me to watch the reaction of the liquor store when the old lady strolls up and wants Everclear.)

I generally aim toward the out-of-the-ordinary. Pickled quail eggs are a big hit, as is bacon jam and homemade crackers. 

One year, I made Eudora Welty's white fruitcake. It was awful -- doughy and not tasty. So I froze it, sliced it thin, and made biscotti out of it. That was pretty good.