• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comparing the IP (Instant Pot) Ultra 60 to the IP Duo 60

Smithy

The new Instant Pot Ultra got a workout today, along with the nesting steaming baskets that came as a lagniappe with the set. We had some of the above-shown country style ribs as leftovers. All that sauce begged for something to soak it up. I chose to try pressure-cooking potatoes and eggs at the same time. I should note that I've been perfectly happy with steaming eggs to get them cooked to hard stage, but there are folks here that swear by pressure cooking instead. I was willing to try.

Into the bottom basket went the eggs; into the top basket went the potatoes. A cup or two of water went into the liner pot. It was all given 5 minutes' cooking at high pressure, with nearly 20 minutes' natural release before finishing with a quick release. One egg cracked, as you see. I haven't tried peeling any yet.

20190825_223738.jpg

I really should have been cooking the green beans at the same time, either in my other IP (Duo) or on the stove top. I didn't do that. Once the potatoes and eggs were done I filled the pot with hot water and set it to Saute mode to boil the water. The beans got a few minutes' cooking, then an ice-water bath to stop them from cooking more. In retrospect, I should have cooked them longer (they were tough-crisp rather than tender-crisp) and then saved some from the ice-water shock so they could be eaten warm without further cooking. It was late and I didn't want to do the next steps. So it goes.

While all that was going on, the pork was gently being reheated in the microwave. Pork, juice, potatoes, check. Excellent. Green beans...well, a bit tough, but edible. A dash of tagin classico seasoning brightened them even if it didn't make them more tender.

It's all put away, the dishwasher is running, and I have over a pound of trimmed, par-cooked green beans with little more effort than the trimming. Yay!

20190825_205754-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Late to this thread, but it is encouraging to see that your Duo was holding the slow cooking temperature it was supposed to, per the IP website:

The 3 temperature ranges in the Instant Pot® are:

• Less: 82-87.8°C/180-190°F (low setting in a slow cooker)
  • Normal: 87.8~93°C/190-200°F (medium setting in a slow cooker)
  • More: 93~99°C/200~210°F (high setting in a slow cooker)

Obviously "low" is hotter than you wanted, but it's good to see it's at least doing what it's supposed to.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a Duo and I have been using it a lot. I am considering upgrading to the Ultra model for the finer controls and improved display. Is it a worthy upgrade? Just looking for an excuse to get new kitchen equipment.. 😆 

• Thanks 1

Just now, FrogPrincesse said:

I have a Duo and I have been using it a lot. I am considering upgrading to the Ultra model for the finer controls and improved display. Is it a worthy upgrade? Just looking for an excuse to get new kitchen equipment.. 😆 

I think it is. Consider yourself enabled. You're welcome. :P

• Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

i personally think its an Economic Issue

what have you done w the model you already have ?

think about this.  

if you feel the newer model will refine your use 

based on  the newer controls ,then wait for a sale.

you are still iPotting until then

the display does not improve your final iPot'sx results 

but its quite true :

""   Just looking for an excuse to get new kitchen equipment. "'

and that's fine just wait for it to go on sale.

I have both (Duo is an eight qt, Ultra is a three qt.).  I actually don't think the controls are any better on the Ultra, it's a lot less intuitive.  The display is better.  I don't think it's worth it just for the display.  I end up just using the manual pressure setting 95% of the time.  Now maybe if you are also getting a bigger size in the bargain, (or smaller), then that's another story.

• Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs