• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Margaret Pilgrim

Verjus

Honest confession, I had read a little about verjus, so when I came across it at a winery I knew i needed it.   FOMO, if you must.    So now that I have a 750ml bottle, I am looking for the best possible uses for it.  

HELP?   

eGullet member #80.

Ha ha - sounds like something I would do.  I know I was looking for verjus a while back but I can't remember what for.  I think maybe it was for an apple and pear mostarda to be served with seared scallops.  Or maybe not. 

In the meantime, here's a link to a list of recipes available online that call for verjus, via Eat Your Books.  Maybe something there will strike your fancy.

• Like 1

Here's a 2010 NYT article

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

-The mosque is too far from home, so let's do this / Let's make a weeping child laugh.

Nida Fazli, poet, 1938-2016 (translated, from the Urdu, by Anu Garg, wordsmith.org)

I tried some in a few things and decided it fell into the "I can easily live without it" category.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Thanks, all.    Altho I am hooked on local meyer lemons for most tartness, using verjus in lemon desserts sounds worth a shot.    Will report back.

eGullet member #80.

Sign in to follow this