• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

" the New Trend in Steak : Old Beef WSJ

rotuts

this isn't really new , but it made it to the WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-trend-in-steak-old-beef-11564997401?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=4

or , due to pay-wall ;  google

The New Trend in Steak: Old Beef

for review purposes :

"'Steakhouses looking for the next big thing are hoping to lure diners with a new hook: old beef. Traditionally, U.S. restaurants have served meat from cattle that are no older than two years; older animals can be tougher and more susceptible to disease. But the meat tends to have a richer flavor. Taking a cue from restaurants in Spain, especially the Basque region, where “vaca vieja” is a tradition, more U.S. restaurants are putting old beef on the menu.''

""Bazaar Meat in Las Vegas was one of the first U.S. restaurants to offer older cows when it opened in 2014. Most diners still order the younger steak, says executive chef Alex Pitts, but interest in the older offerings has grown, now comprising about 15% of steak orders, says Mr. Pitts. ""

"'At Corrida in Boulder, chef and co-owner Amos Watts started selling older beef last year. The 8- to 12-year-old angus tomahawk ribeye sells for $110 a pound. To make it more tender, the steak is dry aged, a process which helps break down the meat.""

"" Because older cattle is at higher risk for disease, U.S. government regulations require meat processors to remove the spine, brain and other tissues when slaughtering cattle older than 30 months. That can make it difficult to find plants willing to process older cows, says Jordan Beeman, who runs HeartBrand Beef, a ranch in Flatonia, Texas. ""

has anyone tried Older Meat ?  or has a place where it can be purchased and cooked at home ?

Pretty Pricey   it seems the usual more flavorful cuts on an older steer or cow , shoulder , etc  would ideally lend themselves to SV

as at least an initial part to the cooking.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I've tried "old beef" and it wasn't all to my liking, as in old Holstein dairy cow.  I'm sure some like the taste, but I thought it just tasted off and not the beefy flavor and texture I prefer.  Of course that's owing a lot to the feed that is given to most dairy cows.  And I'm a little skeptical, just personal opinion, that this discussion will jump the shark just like the American fascination with Wagyu, "Kobe-style" and all the rest has.  Las Vegas has been a haven for over-priced steaks for some years now, so I wonder if this is just another game to get people to shell out large sums for a 10 year-old Holstein ribeye.  But, I do realize some who have eaten this old beef really like the flavor.  When Carnevino was open in Las Vegas I remember their agen Riserva beef and it was very good, but a funky taste I'd only choose on rare occasions.  And a few years ago I think it was about $125 or so.  I'm wondering if this beef is close to that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

this isn't really new , but it made it to the WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-trend-in-steak-old-beef-11564997401?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=4

or , due to pay-wall ;  google

The New Trend in Steak: Old Beef

for review purposes :

"'Steakhouses looking for the next big thing are hoping to lure diners with a new hook: old beef. Traditionally, U.S. restaurants have served meat from cattle that are no older than two years; older animals can be tougher and more susceptible to disease. But the meat tends to have a richer flavor. Taking a cue from restaurants in Spain, especially the Basque region, where “vaca vieja” is a tradition, more U.S. restaurants are putting old beef on the menu.''

""Bazaar Meat in Las Vegas was one of the first U.S. restaurants to offer older cows when it opened in 2014. Most diners still order the younger steak, says executive chef Alex Pitts, but interest in the older offerings has grown, now comprising about 15% of steak orders, says Mr. Pitts. ""

"'At Corrida in Boulder, chef and co-owner Amos Watts started selling older beef last year. The 8- to 12-year-old angus tomahawk ribeye sells for $110 a pound. To make it more tender, the steak is dry aged, a process which helps break down the meat.""

"" Because older cattle is at higher risk for disease, U.S. government regulations require meat processors to remove the spine, brain and other tissues when slaughtering cattle older than 30 months. That can make it difficult to find plants willing to process older cows, says Jordan Beeman, who runs HeartBrand Beef, a ranch in Flatonia, Texas. ""

has anyone tried Older Meat ?  or has a place where it can be purchased and cooked at home ?

Pretty Pricey   it seems the usual more flavorful cuts on an older steer or cow , shoulder , etc  would ideally lend themselves to SV

as at least an initial part to the cooking.

We had what is now being called "old beef" in northern Spain at Assador Extebarri, maybe 15 years ago.     Elderly farm animals were retired, rested and fed well before slaughter.     We enjoyed beef from a 19 year old cow.    It was the best, most flavorful and tender piece of meat I have ever had, before or since.    

I notice that in California, premium meat seller Bryan Flannery's top of the line meat is from Holstein cows.   I don't know their age, but friends swear by his product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

We mustn't conflate "old beef" and "aged beef".  

Old beef is measured by time on the hoof, while the animal is alive.    Unless it flesh is aged by the butcher, it will be as fresh as any younger animal.

Aged beef is measured by days the meat is "hung" before being cut into portions.    30 days is normal, but current fad is to let it go for up to many times that.   I do not like the (to me) funky, livery flavor of very well aged beef.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.